Dog walking in packs

There are some dog walking businesses around Sheffield who walk dogs in packs of 8-12, most of them off the lead. To me, this raises questions about risks to children and animals if the dogs in the pack got excited. How sure are these people that they have recall over their customers' dogs when they are not on a lead and running in a pack? Do the customers really know how many dogs their dog is taken out with?

Must make the collection of dog poo a bit awkward - or are they exempt?

There are some dog walking businesses around Sheffield who walk dogs in packs of 8-12, most of them off the lead. To me, this raises questions about risks to children and animals if the dogs in the pack got excited. How sure are these people that they have recall over their customers' dogs when they are not on a lead and running in a pack? Do the customers really know how many dogs their dog is taken out with?

yes there are , its not good to have that many , lack of control is a big issue , you cannot control all these , let alone clean up the poo. I run a dog walking business , the most I walk is 5 from the same family. I would worry about controlling more , small groups are better for sociability of dogs and control in public places . Its not just about the dogs causing accidents its about the public feeling safe and other dogs , large pack can exhibit pack mentality they could attack another animal or a child . If you employ a dog walker please check how many they walk with , maybe even join the dog walker for a small group walk just to see for yourself .

---------- Post added 30-09-2017 at 13:44 ----------

Must make the collection of dog poo a bit awkward - or are they exempt?

not exempt but we know of several large pack walkers who don't clear up after themselves .

Correct me if I'm wrong? But I thought professional dog walkers / boarding etc are only insured to walk a maximum of 6 dogs at any time. And those not on leads will not be covered by the insurance.

Correct me if I'm wrong? But I thought professional dog walkers / boarding etc are only insured to walk a maximum of 6 dogs at any time. And those not on leads will not be covered by the insurance.

I'm a dog walker and my insurance covers me for up to 6 dogs at any one time, which can be walked off lead with written consent from the owner (this is included in my paperwork that I ask the customer to complete). Even though I'm insured for up to 6 dogs, I do not take more than 3 at a time as this is the most I feel comfortable with and feel the dogs get more of my attention.

Other walkers may have different conditions on their insurance, but it certainly is possible to be insured for dogs being off lead.

my insurance doesnt specify a number , but common sense should tell you not to walk more than 6 . The council as yet does not regulate the number either .Shaun Bell had a meeting in nov 2016 nothing has changed since then .

dont the bylaws of Sheffield say you cannot have a dog off lead?

dont the bylaws of Sheffield say you cannot have a dog off lead?

no not as far as I am aware . I actually walk in private woodland , but also use Meersbrook park where the owners walk their dogs off leads .

Other walkers may have different conditions on their insurance, but it certainly is possible to be insured for dogs being off lead.

That's really good, as I've heard there are some insurance companies that reject (or try and reject) claims such as: their dog was off lead and ran in front of a car etc.

That's really good, as I've heard there are some insurance companies that reject (or try and reject) claims such as: their dog was off lead and ran in front of a car etc.

yes its providing you have signed permission to let dogs off the lead.

yes its providing you have signed permission to let dogs off the lead.

I was referring to non business pet insurance companies, it wasn't long since I signed a petition as owner was trying to take her declined case further. She had her dog on lead but she dropped it as her dog yanked the lead out of her hand as it saw a cat or squirrel. She was faced with a massive vets bill all because of a freak accident ?