Dog walking in packs

I'm hearing rumours that some 'professional' dog walker lost a dog up near a reservoir recently during the snow and ice. The dog wandered off, fell in, and drowned. Owing to the ice on the edges, it couldn't get a grip to get out.

Shockingly, the dog walker didn't notice it was missing until they got back to their starting point.

Anyone know if this is true?

Dog walkers in that area walk up to 14 dogs at a time, most of them off the lead. Easy enough to miss the occasional dog, I suppose. If it happened, I wonder what story they told the pet's owner?

Mind you, the record anyone has seen up here is 24 dogs being walked together, mostly off the lead, by three professionals walking their packs together. These people must be dead good at their jobs to be able to run so many at a time.

On their web-sites - they know who they are - they have photos of themselves out walking with 3 or 4 dogs, all on leads. Cunning that, because it leads the owners to believe that little Fido is being looked by a proper dog whisperer. Really, they are just mugging the owners off. Trading Standards should have a look at this.

It's not just that, but I wonder if the pet insurers know what's going on? I'm sure they would be charging higher premiums if they knew what was really happening. So, they are probably being taken for a ride as well.

The Council - and to be fair, between the student games debt legacy, the austerity regime imposed from London, and the national PR disaster over the trees, you can't really expect too much from them - they seem to hope that if they have a nice meeting every couple of years with dog walkers everything will work out fine.

The lesson for dog owners is: if you want your dog walking by someone else, ask around, and don't believe everything you see and read on web-sites.

If you know who this dog walker is and even which area please report to shaun Bell animal control officer for sheffield city council , he would be very interested since he is setting up a professional code for sheffield dog walkers of which we will sign up to , anyone walking large groups needs to be aware that shouldn't be happening. As most of us professional dog walkers only walk in small groups there should be no problem . I am regularly joined by ex customers who have retired now on my daily walks , I certainly would never walk in a large group also our insurance doesn't allow for that number .

Edited by teeny

Good to know a professional code is being set up.

The question is who will enforce it and how?

There is an argument for licensing dog walkers and withdrawing the licence when the code is broken.

Good to know a professional code is being set up.

The question is who will enforce it and how?

There is an argument for licensing dog walkers and withdrawing the licence when the code is broken.

I think it will be a good idea , it will be over seen by the animal welfare officers, It also means vans will be checked, which means many will only be able to carry a certain number , I have customers who have been with walkers who have vans , they chose me as I am seen on foot everyday , I don't drive around or take to remote areas , I walk locally , along local roads .

Not sure when it will begin though as ts still been written but there has to be a away of policing it it properly like he boarding licenses, which works really well .

Edited by teeny

Do you know how many animal welfare officers there are for the city as a whole?

Reckon there will be enough of them of the number of professional dog walkers?

Do you know how many animal welfare officers there are for the city as a whole?

Reckon there will be enough of them of the number of professional dog walkers?

Presently there are 2 animal welfare officers managing home boarders ( renewable licences in November and environmental animal issues .) If we all register and pay a small amount that should fund someone in a post specifically for dog walkers and not detract from the other jobs they do . There are quite a few professional dog walkers in sheffield , some come and go but there is a hardcore f people like myself who have been doing it a number of years . here is of course those that use vans ( which I don't ) they need checking that they have air conditioning and good ventilation and of course good safety standards. I myself have seen professional dog walkers walking upwards of 10 which I wouldn't do , however we have had weekend meets with my customers where we have walked in a large group , of 12 dogs and 8 adults .

I would be more than happy to be seen by the animal welfare officers , I am always happy to show what I do but I don't walk masses of dogs everyday , I only walk in a group of 4 normally except for my one group of 5 from the same household, where the customers insist they are walked together but they aren't off lead and are well behaved .

Edited by teeny

Some people are terrified of dogs, my sister being an example, and so when someone lets their dog bound up to her, harmless as it may be, she's genuinely scared.

I'm not frightened of dogs, but really don't appreciate when, as happened recently someone's off lead over-excited dog jumped up me with filthy paws all over a new coat. The owner apologised, but it's hardly the point, the coat was filthy. Many people I see walking dogs haven't a clue about how to control them, I see them shouting and screaming as the dog leaps around completely oblivious to their owner's 'commands'

Some people are terrified of dogs, my sister being an example, and so when someone lets their dog bound up to her, harmless as it may be, she's genuinely scared.

I'm not frightened of dogs, but really don't appreciate when, as happened recently someone's off lead over-excited dog jumped up me with filthy paws all over a new coat. The owner apologised, but it's hardly the point, the coat was filthy. Many people I see walking dogs haven't a clue about how to control them, I see them shouting and screaming as the dog leaps around completely oblivious to their owner's 'commands'

T his was a dog owner not professional dog walkers, I personally walk where there aren't loads of people , I make sure that they are under control , I don't let dogs off that dont have good recall , I do walk on long lunge leads so they can still have exercise . having said that if you walk in the park tou know that there is going to be dogs .