What's May up to? General election 08/06/2017

Shouldn't the results of any investigations into election expenses from the last time be published first?

Labour’s Dennis Skinner asks May for an assurance that all Tory MPs under investigation for election over-spending will not be allowed to stand again.

May says she stands by all election candidates. Quelle surprise :rolleyes:

We have this concept called innocent till proven guilty you know....

We had a referendum on changing the voting system and we voted no, so obviously that decision stands as the will of the people that we want to retain FPTP in perpetuity. ;)

We had a referendum on changing it to a system that almost nobody uses anywhere significant and that they were confident that nobody wanted.

I don't recall if I engaged in the debates about it here, but most of the discussions I recall were about which way was the better way to vote to get a proper change later on.

I notice George Osborne is going to stand down as an MP so that he can fully focus on his new job at the Standard. Handy timing for Osborne this new job of his. It's almost as if he knew May was going to call an early election.

He was persona non grata with May as soon as she shuffled the Cabinet - I find it unlikely that he'd have advance warning of this.

I notice George Osborne is going to stand down as an MP so that he can fully focus on his new job at the Standard. Handy timing for Osborne this new job of his. It's almost as if he knew May was going to call an early election.

Indeed. And May knew perfectly well, in spite of her denials to the contrary, that she would go for an early election.

It was a half-arsed vote that the senior coalition partners (the Tories) deliberately played down so that they got the outcome they wanted. And things have changed since then with the meltdown of the Labour Party.

People don't change their minds and circumstances never change. I'm sure the people knew what they were voting for, they aren't stupid. They chose FPTP and that's the end of it. You have to respect the will of the people.

---------- Post added 19-04-2017 at 13:47 ----------

We had a referendum on changing it to a system that almost nobody uses anywhere significant and that they were confident that nobody wanted.

I don't recall if I engaged in the debates about it here, but most of the discussions I recall were about which way was the better way to vote to get a proper change later on.

But the people spoke, they chose FPTP. Don't you believe in democracy? Do you want to live in North Korea?

Don't you believe in democracy?

I'll believe it when I see it.

I'll believe it when I see it.

And you see it when it gets you the result you want.

With this election will come a massive endorsement for hard (i.e. not fake) Brexit. You should prepare now, your preposterous excuses as to why it shouldn't count.

I'm making assumptions here Nervy but I'm shocked at any working class person voting Tory and are manifesto's worth anything, they rarely stick to them. They should be made legally binding.

Regarding manifestos I completely agree however at the last election I believe only the Torys and UKIP promised an eu referendum. If the voting system was fairer I'd of gone UKIP but as they had no chance of getting in the only option was Tory.

I am working class but Tory still felt the best bet, upto the others to persuade me otherwise this time but at the moment only the Torys seem flexible about the single market where as the rest it seem a case of we must be in it at any cost, that doesn't sit well with me when it come to the negotiations.

And you see it when it gets you the result you want.

With this election will come a massive endorsement for hard (i.e. not fake) Brexit. You should prepare now, your preposterous excuses as to why it shouldn't count.

No government since 1931 has received more than 50% of the popular vote. Taking any result as an endorsement for hard (i.e. destructive) brexit is to misconstrue the intricacies of our voting system. :D