Obesity,is it going too far?

Almost every time I pick up a newspaper or watch the news on TV there is some expert going on about obese people.The latest being said is that about 80% of the population is obese.The cameraman rolls along the High Street picking out people deemed to be obese.Whilst I can't comment on what women think about the men picked out,as a bloke I would like to say that some of the women shown are really attractive.They are clean,well presented,nice looking and have nice figures with all the assets in the right places.Really cuddly women any bloke would like to be with,they are in no way excessively fat.The experts should stop commenting on people,not all of us want to see or be, stick insects like Victoria Beckham or Cheryl Cole (or whatever her name is now).Lets live and let live,we all like different shapes and sizes.

As someone who has type 2 diabetes I can understand this Governments alarm at the growing number of people who are obese and have diabetes. The main reason of type 2 is weight related, or to be frank those who are obese.

The cost to the NHS on treating these obese people is apparently spiralling upwards at an alarming rate.

The comorbidities related to been obese or having type 2 diabetes are many.

Changes neuroendocrine signaling and metabolism.

Reduces quality of life.

Arthritis.

Sleep Apnea.

High Blood Pressure.

High Cholesterol.

Venous Stasis Disease (Collection of Blood in the Lower Limbs).

Soft Tissue Infections.

Congestive Heart Failure.

Fatty Liver Syndrome.

Gall Bladder Disease.

Depression.

Stroke or Stroke Risk.

Inability to Carry Out Daily Activities.

Psychosocial Stress Resulting From Obesity.

GERD (Acid Reflux Disease.

So on reading the above is it any wonder that the Government are trying to do something constructive about obesity.

Before my weight loss operation (laparoscopic gastric sleeve) I was 24st and I had 9 of the above comorbidities relating to my obesity and type 2.

Two years later and 9st lighter I now only have 1 comorbiditie, Arthritis, the other 8 have gone or at a lower reading within acceptable limits. According to my Doctor, once diagnosed as type 2 you are always on their register, even when all your levels are close to normal.

Hope this is seen as a genuine attempt to help those who were like me, obese with type 2. There is help out there - if you want to change and possibly save your life.

Angel1.

Edited by ANGELFIRE1

IIRC the prediction is 80% overweight or obese by 2030 on current trends (European average). Hence the attention being paid to it.

Makes sense, it's costing us a fortune and contributing to the tory sponsored collapse of the NHS.

---------- Post added 14-02-2017 at 16:50 ----------

It's interesting you have brought up BMI I find this approach of one height fits one weight odd. The human race is not bog standard like that people in Asia or not the same has their Western counterparts we are all different.

We need an system to replace it but what with ?

BMI gives a range, but as I said, it's a poor measure, it's particularly inaccurate as you move towards the ends of the scales for short/tall people, it's also inaccurate for anyone who is particularly well built.

There are more accurate measures of body fat, and most specifically visceral body fat, which tell us with greater accuracy about health, but they're harder to obtain than a simple weight/height calculation.

---------- Post added 14-02-2017 at 16:55 ----------

According to the rules and regulations we all must live our lives by, at six feet tall I should weigh between 10 and 12 stone.

If I were to weigh that, i would look like a walking beanpole.

When I weighed that much many years ago, you could count every rib and spinal bone.

What is the point of looking like a walking cadaver?

At 6' a weight of 83kg would be at the top of the healthy range. This would be 13st 1lb.

10 Stone would be 63kg, that would be approaching the bottom of the healthy range.

It's unlikely that at 13st 1lb you'd look like a beanpole, unless you're an unusual shape in some way.