MEMO...hillsborough memorial hall

Do you remember the "MEMO" which held dance nights(tues i think) when good old rock n roll was just getting going in Sheffield, iwould be about 15 yrs of age in the late 1950s. A bunch of us teenagers would go and attempt to bop with the girls,some of the folk who went were really good dancers.

There was no alcohol on sale but 1 or 2 of us used to sneak in the back door of the Freemasons pub near hillsborough corner and have a half.

Everyone seemed to smoke then and the favoured fags were park drive.

The memo was a great meeting place and on the whole there was not any trouble. Its a pity they couldnt have similar places for the teens now..or would they abuse it.

I have photos of me and my mates from that era..only seems like yesterday..ah well...

Remember it well. My girlfriend at the time smacked Keith ( Littsy), you know who I mean, over his head with her spiked stiletto heel. It made quite a mess, apparantly he had been a bit free with his hands. Of course, I panicked thinking that swift retribution was coming my way, but nowt happened.

Just a note, have sent a long email to DH and passed my best to all our old mates, WM, MB and Rod McN. See you old friend. P.

Remember it well. My girlfriend at the time smacked Keith ( Littsy), you know who I mean, over his head with her spiked stiletto heel. It made quite a mess, apparantly he had been a bit free with his hands. Of course, I panicked thinking that swift retribution was coming my way, but nowt happened.

Just a note, have sent a long email to DH and passed my best to all our old mates, WM, MB and Rod McN. See you old friend. P.

Ta,Buddy, no one ever messed with littsy and walked away unaided. he was the meanest scrapper i have ever known,incidentally i gather he is quiet nowdays and sells stuff out of a suitcase at the top of dixon lane??

You sat Littsies quiet now,I'm not surprised I'm 65 and he's the same age.Age catches up with everyone.I once saw him take on the market lads at Castleton ,he didn't win but put up a good scrap.Oh happy days!!!!

i loved the memo in the 50s bopped all night even remember the vicar of st johns walking round to keep us all in check great memories talking of littsie do you remember bunny one of his mates?

That name Bunny takes me back 40+ years....He had a strange walk due to a problem from birth. I remember him in Hillsborough Park in the "old mans hut". From memory i think he always worked on the fairground at Owlerton stadium, on the Waltzer pushing the cars around.

Incidentally Jossman who contributed to this post died last week,he was 64 and an old school mate. I went to a reunion last year and he was there but I didn,t think he would have died so soon.

You are dead right about Bunny.A pal of mine who lives at Stocksbridge still sees him knocking about.The thing I remember about him he had 'OMO ADDS BRIGHTNESS',an advertising slogan at that time,tattooed on his arm.

The best dancers at the memo in my time were Ken Rodley and the lass I think was later to become his wife whose name escapes me, when they hit the floor it was like the parting of the red sea, everybody stood back and just watched, they were brilliant.

I must have been one of the youngest to attend any of the dances at the 'MEMO'.

When my sister came home on leave from the forces in the 1940's, she used to take me to the MEMO on a Saturday night where I used to sit and watch them all dancing.

Happy days!

PopT