Lamb filet-where can I get some?

A butcher told me there is not a much filet steak on a lamb. Is it possible to buy at least some from the butchers, and if so which ones are likely to have some-in

Sheffield or Rotherham.

i for one have never heard of fillet steak on a lamb, where abouts on a lamb is it?

on second thoughts do you mean bone less lamb?

Any butcher should be able to supply.

Tesco sell them at about £8.50 for 2 filletsof loin,or £20 kg.

Cheaper than beef fillet.

A butcher told me there is not a much filet steak on a lamb. Is it possible to buy at least some from the butchers, and if so which ones are likely to have some-in

Sheffield or Rotherham.

The fillet you're referring to is the neck fillet and it's located in the shoulder of lamb. it's the absolute best part of the lamb and, you're right, there really isn't much on each one!

I don't think I've ever seen lamb fillet on sale in a supermarket, but it's often available in "proper" high street butchers' shops. It's a nice cut of meat, very tender and tasty, but it's also a very expensive cut - a bit like fillet steak tends to be the most expensive cut of beef. I suppose it depends what sort of meal you want to cook with it.

I have seldom bought lamb fillet. because I tend to use lamb for recipes that require slow-cooking - like stews, hot-pots, curries, shepherd's pies, plate pies, ragus, bolognese sauces...etc. I find that the cheaper cuts are better for these slow-cooked dishes, so mostly buy best end of neck or lamb mince. I also like lamb ribs....they make a lovely stock for hearty winter soups...and if you can find some nice meaty ribs, they are delicious if you just slow-roast them with a bit of salt, pepper, garlic and rosemary ...then just gnaw the meat off the bones.