Plumbing help!! Close to xmas :-(

Guest brownd95

Hi All.

Just looking for some advice if anyone can. I know it's close to xmas.

Radiator feed pipe inlet and return run together along the wall. The previous plumber must of put too much solder on the inlet pipe and so solder has stuck the two pipes together.

We have bought a new radiator which I want to fit myself, but as the two pipes are stuck together i can splay them far enough apart to diconnect the valve connections.

1) The plumber is busy for 2 weeks so no go + he will most likely want ££

2) Could I use a hacksaw to cut in between both pipe (cut the solder)

3) Torch the solder until it melts then quickly wipe it off with a rag?/

Thanks,

Dave

You could cut it with an hack saw blade make sure you don't cut the pipe. You won't be able to melt the solder if there's water in the pipe. Hope that helps

Photo would have helped. I presume that the the pipes are stuck on/near the valve. obviously you can't apply heat with water in the pipes. Are you using the existing valves? Is there any gap at all between the pipes?

Guest brownd95

https://www.mybuilder.com/job/view/238169

It's not my photo but the feed and return pipes are a similar setup. The solder has over run from the top pipes t piece and soldered the top pipe to the copper pipe below.

The photo is at the bottom of the webpage link.

Cheers.

Try a large hacksaw blade (or a piece of one) wrapped with rag on the end, and saw parallel with pipes but with the blade angled backwards. Protect wall with a piece of hardboard or similar, a squirt of WD 40 or vaseline helps. Support pipes with wooden blocks or a brick.

Guest brownd95

Thank you for you help. Much appreciated. Let you know how I get on :-)

Are you certain that the pipes are actually stuck together firmly, or just have solder inbetween them and are touching? I ask this because unless they were clean up, with flux & solder added with enough heat they may not be as stuck as you think.

If they are stuck, drain the system of water, then put heat on the area, and quickly put a wet rag between pipes and over the solder before the area goes cold. If the rads are upstairs, you won`t have to drain as much water.

After you've fitted the rad I would (if its a combi boiler) flush out the system under pressure using the filler loop (out through the bottom drain-valve and hose pipe) then when Screwfix opens get a bottle of additive, drain off again and using a funnel pour it into an uncoupled rad valve or other suitable place.

Suppose you can do this later as you need the system up and running asap without leaks.