The Consequences of Brexit (part 2)

Yet in actual fact, Mr Merkel is highly regarded by Germanese business leaders and they think Our Nige' is an annoying prat.

The problem here is that business leaders may think that but its the people who vote who will be in the majority. Many business leaders and politicians alike did not think there would be a leave majority in the referendum but the people proved otherwise.

As far as the EU collapsing is concerned then that will happen when the Euro collapses, which has been predicted by many to possibly be sometime within the next few years.

http://fortune.com/2016/12/30/euro-outlook-2017/

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/01/26/euro-could-collapse-next-18-months-warns-man-tipped-trumps-eu/

https://www.lombardiletter.com/euro-collapse-heres-why-the-eurozone-could-implode-in-2017/6506/

I dont think it will collpase, although there are a significant group who hate the EU. Lots of people dont realise the actual integration and how complex extrication will be. they also dont care if other businesses lose money becayse they dont believe it affects them.

the irony is that a lot of EU members will be voting and objecting, but very little business is done with them. they still get a full vote and hey like to use that influence. Without the UKs contribution then they are going to have to get used to less or contributors will need to pay more. there is talk of penalising the UK with a liabilities fee of many billions £.

Why is it 'penalising' the UK if they are legally liable for the money they are asked to pay?

Why is it 'penalising' the UK if they are legally liable for the money they are asked to pay?

There's nothing in the treaties to support the idea of a leaving bill.

The EU is in a fundamentally unstable dysfunctional state. It needs to integrate into a single federal nation, or revert to a trading bloc before it collapses in a heap of misery.

Edited by unbeliever

There's nothing in the treaties to support the idea of a leaving bill.

The EU is in a fundamentally unstable dysfunctional state. It needs to integrate into a single federal nation, or revert to a trading bloc before it collapses in a heap of misery.

Well if there's nothing to pay,there's nothing to whinge about being penalised then is there?

Well if there's nothing to pay,there's nothing to whinge about being penalised then is there?

Would you not be inclined to complain if somebody sent you an illegal demand for tens of billions of points?

Would you not be inclined to complain if somebody sent you an illegal demand for tens of billions of points?

No,I would bin it.

I find that odd.

Really,how quaint.

I suspect this may be the case.

All we read in the xenophobic UK press is how much the EU hate the British and what a terrible Prime Minister that Mr Merkel is.

Yet in actual fact, Mr Merkel is highly regarded by Germanese business leaders and they think Our Nige' is an annoying prat.

The sentiment is very pro British in western europe for many reasons, main one being that I don't have to speak german.

Hello, I see you've spent literally the whole waking day posting on this again, from 8:16am. Is this your full time occupation?

Never get divorced, my friend. You wouldn't understand why you must repay your share of that credit card debt you built up together.

Because they have discretion as to what they will seek to put forward as a liability and things they may disregard. Nobody has ever left before so it is all new ground. There isnt a nice clean exit bill. Something the lawyers can argue over and the diplomats compromise on.

If they dont come to an agreement then they will both lose.

Edited by 999tigger

Because they have discretion as to what they will seek to put forward as a liability and things they may disregard. Nobody has ever left before so it is all new ground. There isnt a nice clean exit bill.

So a negotiation, not a penalty. Article 50:

"the Union shall negotiate and conclude an agreement with that State, setting out the arrangements for its withdrawal, taking account of the framework for its future relationship with the Union"