The Consequences of Brexit (part 2)

I agree and that is the fault of our very own parliament and its MP's. What interests me though is why no one in the stay camp challenged that before the referendum and only decided to bring it up after they lost.

The time scale hasn't help. When there is a change in Government, there is no delay and the new administration starts work the next day.

---------- Post added 24-01-2017 at 08:58 ----------

Nobody thought we'd leave! I wish we wouldn't but this country needs another hate filled referendum like it needs a hole in the head.

Exactly .............

I agree and that is the fault of our very own parliament and its MP's. What interests me though is why no one in the stay camp challenged that before the referendum and only decided to bring it up after they lost.
Wrong I'm afraid.

See e.g. posts 369 to 372 (including links in post 371) in this thread.

I expect the Leave side dismissed this as just more Project Fear noise at the time. Like all other inconvenient truths. But hey-ho, bygones.

You've bought it, you own it :)

The time scale hasn't help. When there is a change in Government, there is no delay and the new administration starts work the next day.
The time scale is 100% down to Ms May, and -re. bit in bold- it looks like she missed that memo when she took office last July :hihi: Edited by L00b

The time scale is 100% down to Ms May, and -re. bit in bold- it looks like she missed that memo when she took office last July :hihi:

:help: :help: :help: ... I meant the process of leaving the EU. The UK couldn't have left the EU on 24th June 2016.

And there is nothing Nicola Sturgeon can do to prevent the UK leaving the EU.

And there is nothing Nicola Sturgeon can do to prevent the UK leaving the EU.

Nope and the correct legal decision. The UK parliament is our ruling body and the devolved countries are STILL a part of that parliament.

Nope and the correct legal decision. The UK parliament is our ruling body and the devolved countries are STILL a part of that parliament.

I'm just waiting for some of the people who voted Leave because of "parliamentary sovereignty" to start raging because some judges have agreed that parliament is sovereign.

I'm just waiting for some of the people who voted Leave because of "parliamentary sovereignty" to start raging because some judges have agreed that parliament is sovereign.

I doubt you'll be waiting long.

And there we have it. Supreme court upholds decision that ONLY parliament can invoke article 50.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-politics-38723261

Ruled 8:3 so not even close. Nevermind Unbeliever.

Okay. I don't mind. Parliament will approve it with minimal fuss.

I recall one of my opponents said it would certainly be 11:0 and I only stated that the legality was not clear and therefore there would be a split decision.

So this doesn't really support the idea that it was obvious. Which is all I was saying. I may have hoped for a different result, but I was not expecting it.

Okay. I don't mind. Parliament will approve it with minimal fuss.

I recall one of my opponents said it would certainly be 11:0 and I only stated that the legality was not clear and therefore there would be a split decision.

So this doesn't really support the idea that it was obvious. Which is all I was saying. I may have hoped for a different result, but I was not expecting it.

You were expecting proclamation to take precedence over parliament?

There is nothing for anyone to rage about. Let's see how the MPs vote. My guess is Article 50 will be triggered before the end of March, this year.

You were expecting proclamation to take precedence over parliament?

It was my judgement that parliament had already given consent by calling the referendum and furthermore that foreign treaties are a matter for the executive. It seems that only 3 of the 11 judges generally agreed with me. 3 is not zero so I'm clearly not crazy.

That's hardly a slam-dunk but they stopped short of putting insane obstacles in front of the brexit process so I'm okay with it.