Do You Need The BBC?

I'm not having a go about piracy, but doesn't that show you again that there is a need for you to pay a licence fee/subscription fee? Without this fee, the shows/films that you want to watch may not have been produced. They were produced with money from that fee/subscription. So scrapping the licence fee could have big implications for you i.e. you would no longer be able to download them, because they wouldn't exist!

You are assuming the shows that people download were created with licence fee money. the vast majority of them are American.

If you had a choice to not have access to the BBC for not buying TV license would you choose it?

No, the BBC is fantastic value for the price paid, notwithstanding it's commitment to cater for the widest possible audience under it's public service remit. A great service based on a great idea.

I dont really like middle of the road fluffy content.

I prefer more edgy stuff like HBO, Game of Thrones, Narcos, Vice Principles etc....So i mainly watch Sky, Netflix etc.

I dont watch ITV either. Its just so trashy. But i dont have to pay for it.

The £145.50 i pay for a TV licence is a waste of money that i could be spending on something else.

I dont really like middle of the road fluffy content.

I prefer more edgy stuff like HBO, Game of Thrones, Narcos, Vice Principles etc....So i mainly watch Sky, Netflix etc.

I dont watch ITV either. Its just so trashy. But i dont have to pay for it.

The £145.50 i pay for a TV licence is a waste of money that i could be spending on something else.

Actually, the BBC doesn't keep 100% of the fee. A percentage of it goes to ITV.

Edit: my mistake, Channel 4 were once in line to receive a percentage but the plan was scrapped.

The BBC keeps the full amount.

Edited by Santo

No, the BBC is fantastic value for the price paid, notwithstanding it's commitment to cater for the widest possible audience under it's public service remit. A great service based on a great idea.

Yes it was, but not anymore.

Yes it was, but not anymore.

Do you read the BBC news website, listen to the radio?

Do you read the BBC news website, listen to the radio?

No and no.

No and no.

And never watch anything on the BBC?

I never go the library but I know a tiny bit of my council tax pays for them. I buy all my books on Amazon or from Waterstones. How unfair is that???????

I never go the library but I know a tiny bit of my council tax pays for them. I buy all my books on Amazon or from Waterstones. How unfair is that???????

The libraries are funded out of progressive general taxation rather than a poll tax.

Of course. We have freesat and watch a lot of BBC output but I would find plenty to watch without it. My council tax pays for a lot of things I don't use but this thread is about the BBC license fee.

The libraries are funded out of progressive general taxation rather than a poll tax.

If you don't own a TV you don't pay the license. Simple. It's not a poll tax. It's one fixed fee per household even if there is one TV per parent and one TV each for their 2.4 kids.

If you own a TV I struggle to see how you object to the license. There will always be something on for you. Sports, music, politics, comedy, drama, news, science. Then there is the website and the radio services. If you can't find something in that lot you must be boring beyond belief.

It's cheap.

---------- Post added 12-10-2016 at 17:02 ----------

Of course. We have freesat and watch a lot of BBC output but I would find plenty to watch without it. My council tax pays for a lot of things I don't use but this thread is about the BBC license fee.

What would you watch without the Beeb on freesat? Old episodes of TV shows made by the Beeb probably. Please see my earlier post about repeat fees.

Edited by Santo

If you don't own a TV you don't pay the license. Simple. It's not a poll tax. It's one fixed fee per household even if there is one TV per parent and one TV each for their 2.4 kids.

When TVs were a luxury that might have been valid.

Right now it's state mandated charge that is to be paid irrespective of means by effectively every household.

Just fund it out of general taxation already. It's ridiculous and indefensible that a billionaire makes the same contribution to funding public service broadcasting in the UK as a single parent on minimum wage.