Where to buy proper "prawny-tasting" prawns?

Prawns are not something I buy very often these days, because they are so bloody expensive - but when I do buy them, I usually end up feeling disappointed. I like sweet, tender, juicy prawns, that have that specific, slightly fishy "prawny" kind of flavour, but these days, they all seem to taste like bland, flavourless, slightly-salty, damp pink tissue paper!

I've tried so many - from the frozen or fresh supermarket budget, own-brand or "premium" ranges. I've bought them (at silly prices) from a proper local wet fishmonger's. I've bought them from ethnic shops.....I've bought them already cooked, shells on or off....I've bought them frozen... I've bought them raw, shells on or off.... and cooked them myself - I've bought them in all sizes...small prawns, King prawns, Jumbo prawns. All of them were perfectly pleasant and edible, but none of them were proper "prawny".

Any tips on where to get hold of top-quality tasty prawns in Sheff will be much appreciated.

Hi FIRETHORN1.

I find exactly the same thing as you and I was beginning to think it might be down to my aging tastebuds.

I find the only ones that taste like prawns used to taste are those from the seaside or Aldi's frozen ones.

If you haven't tried Aldi's then I can recommend them. Good luck. :-)

I thought when shellfish of fish tasted 'fishy' it was because they were old or off? Maybe you were used to eating not so fresh prawns and now they're all much fresher.

Thanks rothschild. By pure coincidence, I bought some Aldi frozen prawns last week and although they're not quite the "perfect prawn", they are definitely a lot nicer than most other supermarket frozen prawns that I've tried. (Considerably cheaper too...which is an added bonus)! I also totally agree that prawns - and most shellfish in general - seems to be a lot more tasty and flavoursome when you buy it from seafront stalls at the seaside.

I also accept buy-truffles point that "tasting fishy" is often a sign that it's a bit "off", but the point I was making was about flavour.. These days, so many things that I remember being really tasty in my childhood, seem so bland and flavourless now.

Maybe my tastebuds are old and jaded too - or maybe it's because I'm a heavy smoker - but to me, meat should taste meaty, chicken taste chickeny, fish and shellfish taste (a bit) fishy... fruit should taste fruity, bread taste yeasty and doughy, chocolate taste cocoa-y, tomatos taste tomato-y. Yet they don't seem to taste of very much at all these days!

I think they are much tastier when bought from a Chinese supermarket.

Large uncooked prawns you cook yourself are usually nicer tasting. I buy small packs from M&S, freeze them and get them out a few at a time to put them on the BBQ. I can even taste the prawn flavour after cooking on the BBQ with spices or garlic. I buy them like this as there is only me that eats them.

Costco have an amazing range of frozen prawns if you know someone who has a card. If not you can sign up for £30 for a year

Small prawns from the North Atlantic are, on the whole, much tastier than larger prawns from warmer waters. Sainsburys Canadian ones are nice. It depends what you want them for really, obviously the small ones aren't very suitable for slapping on the barbie.