Southampton to Sheffield

Hi,

I'm planning to move to Sheffield with my brother and hoping to purchase a 4-bed house. However, both of us can't decide which areas to search within. It would be ideal to be located within 3 miles of the town centre as well as work of place. I happen to work within the IT sector, with a few years of experience and my brother works for a civil engineering firm. How is the Job market in Sheffield and which areas should I start my search within?

Regards

if you go on google for civil engineering firms in sheffield, it comes up with a map of the firms and their phone numbers, so you have a better idea of which area would be best for your property search. good luck.

I guess it depends how much you wish to spend on the house too - there are some very nice areas of Sheffield, but the cost goes up accordingly!

I been searching new builds in the postcode S5-S11 and they seem to be in the region of 200k. I'm willing to spend £250k, but prefer to stay within the 200k region.

S5 is further away from the town centre, S11 is nearer but more expensive, cheaper areas are S2, 7 and 8

If you are planning on working in IT then I would recommend spending some time searching for jobs online before you commit to moving here. Sheffield has traditionally had a very limited number of IT sector jobs for it's population size and employers don't like paying big salaries.

If you are planning on working in IT then I would recommend spending some time searching for jobs online before you commit to moving here. Sheffield has traditionally had a very limited number of IT sector jobs for it's population size and employers don't like paying big salaries.

I have too noticed that the salary for permanent jobs is not very high. I'm open to travel to neighbouring cities for work. I'm currently just doing research to see which city in Yorkshire has a big job market for IT personnel plus cheap houses. My manager (originally from Sheffield) has said civil engineering jobs are plenty , so I'm hoping they have a few IT roles on offer.

I have too noticed that the salary for permanent jobs is not very high. I'm open to travel to neighbouring cities for work. I'm currently just doing research to see which city in Yorkshire has a big job market for IT personnel plus cheap houses. My manager (originally from Sheffield) has said civil engineering jobs are plenty , so I'm hoping they have a few IT roles on offer.

Leeds is the top place in Yorkshire to go for IT jobs. I can't tell you anything about the cost of property there, I guess there is always Rightmove.

Some sound advice. It jobs are in short supply in Sheffield (hsbc or a government department is probably your best bet) and the pay rates are generally very poor.

I don't work in IT anymore but when I did my rate in Sheffield was half what I had been paid in other parts of the country.

cheaper areas are S2, 7 and 8

Yes. In all those three, there are occasionally quite large houses at quite reasonable prices: a function, as always, of "location, location, location".

Thank you for the sound advice...based on research Leeds, Manchester and Nottingham has great opportunities in IT. They are all touching distance from Sheffield and I don't mind travelling.