Owen Jones and Sky News.

RootsBoster

"Internalised homophobia and oppression happen to gay, lesbian and bisexual people, and even heterosexuals, who have learned and been taught that heterosexuality is the norm and “correct way to be”. Hearing and seeing negative depictions of LGB people can lead us to internalise, or take in these negative messages. Some LGB people suffer from mental distress as a result.

To be distressed by how one is depicted in society,In my opinion , is not synonymous with having a "mental health" problem. Tarring LBGT people as having mental health problems; is similar to the bad old days when the psychiatric profession described being gay as "pathological".

As a young gay man (and now as an older gay man) I totally rejected the negative labels appended to my nature. Those who seek to oppress LBGT people quickly resort to,"It figures.They are not right in the head".

I consider myself to be a reasonably mentally well-adjusted homosexual.

There's an old Lancashire saying that sums it all up.

"All the world is mad,except thee and me.And I'm a little queer".LOL.

NB. "Queer" being adopted in its none pejorative use.

I don't think it's so much "Society thinks I'm bad" and stressing about it, I think it's more "Society thinks I'm bad, maybe they're right" resulting in internal conflict which, if not resolved, can worsen and develop into mental health issues.

I don't think it's so much "Society thinks I'm bad" and stressing about it, I think it's more "Society thinks I'm bad, maybe they're right" resulting in internal conflict which, if not resolved, can worsen and develop into mental health issues.

Yes I would agree with this....it's not how society views people, but the impact it has on the person's self esteem.

Rootsbooster,

I get your point -you and Mr M are right.I think I might have just misubderstood you both a tad.

Edited by petemcewan