Sledging in Sheffield when you were young

peterw

Myers Grove School fields were good, steep bit, levels out, steep bit again, level, steep etc, quite easy to walk back up (even with my ancient heavy wooden sledge with runners, how I wanted a plastic one like everyone else....).

However, the Gas Club at Malin Bridge was another good one, soooo steep you wouldn't believe, but you'd only do it once. There was no getting back up that hill. :cool:

We used to sledge as kids up Malin Bridge. At an old closed down factory called **** and Danks. I remember we used to find old war time cartridges. I was born in 64 so they had been there a while.

We used to go down the fields at Howbrook Dam, up in High Green. Used to pick up some right spped going down but had to watch out for the tree stump at the bottom, and make sure you went to the left or right into the next field. :)

I used to sledge there. I lived on Ashwood Road. You used to have to sledge through the gate into the next field. My friend crashed and ruptured his spleen.

I lived on Firth Park Crescent.......used to start at the top of Bevercotes Road at Windmill Lane and go all the way down towards Bellhouse Road.

Also tried the steep hill down towards the stream in Firth Park a few times ..

.............but that was a little dangerous.

A long time ago.

I used to sledge down beavercotes Road in the 40's and early 50's. The road was unaddopted at that time.

We didn't have sledges so we used half an air raid shelter. The big kids were at the front standing up and the little ones at the back. I lived on Patmore Road. Those were the days.

'

I used to sledge down beavercotes Road in the 40's and early 50's. The road was unaddopted at that time.

We didn't have sledges so we used half an air raid shelter. The big kids were at the front standing up and the little ones at the back. I lived on Patmore Road. Those were the days.

'

Did you go to Shiregreen Council School on Bracken Road. I did and used to know lots of kids around there - Eric Damms, David Oxley, Celia Swann. Margaret Goonan and loads of others. Also we used to play (in the summer) on the old war-time gun-emplacements above Firth Park Road.

Archived