GKR Karate , An Incident and a Warning

Hi, I trained many years ago with Takasaka sensei shortly after he arrived in Australia. I've been living overseas for many years and am now trying to catch up with him, but the Kei shin kan site is no more - I saw your post and am writing in the hope you might be able to assist.

Thanks

Peter

• 2 weeks later...

Hi I am wondering if anyone can help me, my children use to go to GKR karate and whilst my eldest son reached his blue belt and my youngest orange belt, I personally don't think it will hold him in good stead if he ever needed to use it in real life. I am looking to take my children to another form of martial arts something that is reasonable priced and is a life skill. My children are 5 and 6 years old and we live in Salford, manchester. Does anyone know of any martial arts classes? I have been told about a mixed martial arts class based on the wardley estate in swinton (you most probably haven't heard of it), but they don't grade, and I don't know if it is any good and I don't want to make the same mistake again as I did with GKR. Thanks sharon

Finding a good club is not easy, in broad terms go and watch a few classes and use your gut instinct. NEVER, NEVER, NEVER enter into a long term contract or promises of black belts in two years at the cost of thousands of pounds. There are a lot of cowboys out there. Try and find out the clubs governing body (eg. KUGB. JKA. TAGB etc) and then look-up the governing body on the net.

Hope this helps.

• 1 month later...
Hi, I trained many years ago with Takasaka sensei shortly after he arrived in Australia. I've been living overseas for many years and am now trying to catch up with him, but the Kei shin kan site is no more - I saw your post and am writing in the hope you might be able to assist.

Thanks

Peter

You can write to Takasaka Sensei

C/- Japan Foods Trading -Suzuran

at 1025-1027 Burke Road, Hawthorn, VIC 3122

tel. p: (03) 9882 2349

hi as an ex instructor of gkr i would like to thank the instructors as most of them give up their free time to teach their students to respect each other and self control and do not even get paid to do it

when i took classes i invested in a kick sheild out of my own pocket for my students to use to learn how to kick with out hurtting themself

and a sensei at a class i sempi at brought his class a set off punch pads so they would learn where to punch

and when we had a grading or tournament we would hire a hall for our students to come and work on any thing they felt they needed work on out of our own time and pocket so our students could be the best they could

i am now trainning in go ju kai and he is trainning in shotokan to improve our skill so we can go back and improve on our style so we can improve on our teaching to improve our students and i left knowing that my replacement is one off my best students i ever trainned she has come first in england for sparring and second in the world for her katas

I will say this again to make myself clear....

KARATE WITHOUT CONTACT IS NOT KARATE..

IT IS NOT A MARTIAL ART.....

For Pete`s sake what do you think Martial means. Don`t even mention the "Self Defence Consultants" talk about a total sales miss-representation.

I will add to that - practicing non-contact is more likely to bring injuries as students aren't trained to react to danger or to control their techniques if misjudgements are made.

To master karate (and I'm not saying I have done so :rolleyes:) is to be able to react to any given situation, whether expected or unexpected. You can not do that without training beforehand being steeped in the danger of 'if you don't do it right you get hit'!

Hi I am wondering if anyone can help me, my children use to go to GKR karate and whilst my eldest son reached his blue belt and my youngest orange belt, I personally don't think it will hold him in good stead if he ever needed to use it in real life. I am looking to take my children to another form of martial arts something that is reasonable priced and is a life skill. My children are 5 and 6 years old and we live in Salford, manchester. Does anyone know of any martial arts classes? I have been told about a mixed martial arts class based on the wardley estate in swinton (you most probably haven't heard of it), but they don't grade, and I don't know if it is any good and I don't want to make the same mistake again as I did with GKR. Thanks sharon

There are several reputable martial arts clubs in Manchester, including Thai boxing and Mixed Martial Arts. IF they run children's classes, then I'd check out the Straight Blast Gym International, but that's not to suggest that i think it's the 'best' - it would just be my preference.

I will add to that - practicing non-contact is more likely to bring injuries as students aren't trained to react to danger or to control their techniques if misjudgements are made.

To master karate (and I'm not saying I have done so :rolleyes:) is to be able to react to any given situation, whether expected or unexpected. You can not do that without training beforehand being steeped in the danger of 'if you don't do it right you get hit'!

I agree. If you practise a martial art for self-defence (rather than just basic fitness), there is no substitute for sparring, especially full-contact sparring. Otherwise you will have no idea how to react in a "live" situation, because you have never experienced anything that resembles it.

It's better to risk getting a few bruises in the gym than for everything to fall apart if you ever do get attacked for real. Then it is too late to do anything and you could get seriously hurt. (Although there's never a guarantee with any form of training, you will massively increase your chances of getting away in one piece).

• 3 months later...

From my experience GKR will make you strong and teach you good kata. but when it comes to using self defence and karate effectivly the school fail miserably.

In nationals they go by a pint system where you score a point and reset positions. in real life if you cant defend yourself know one will blow a whistle and say reset.

its bad practice

From my experience GKR will make you strong and teach you good kata. but when it comes to using self defence and karate effectivly the school fail miserably.

In nationals they go by a pint system where you score a point and reset positions. in real life if you cant defend yourself know one will blow a whistle and say reset.

its bad practice

If GKR did use a "PINT" system, I would definately train there:thumbsup: