GKR Karate , An Incident and a Warning

A black belt in 1 year? I want one, actually I could have heaps. Just give me one in bjj. Unfortunately it takes more like 10 years of blood sweat and tears. I can wait at least it is actually worth something.

WHAT SCHOOL ACTUALLY GIVES OUT BLACK BELTS AFTER A YEAR? WHAT A JOKE!!!

A black belt in 1 year? I want one, actually I could have heaps. Just give me one in bjj. Unfortunately it takes more like 10 years of blood sweat and tears. I can wait at least it is actually worth something.

WHAT SCHOOL ACTUALLY GIVES OUT BLACK BELTS AFTER A YEAR? WHAT A JOKE!!!

Ten years if your good some people will never get one, ever! caus a BJJ Black belt is actually worth having, not like the ones i'll sell ya!! lol.:loopy:

Hey Sprawlmma,

You've been doing bjj for 8 years!!! You must be like a brown belt by now. Where you training?

Hey Sprawlmma,

You've been doing bjj for 8 years!!! You must be like a brown belt by now. Where you training?

Yeah sprawl mma! who are you? and where do you train? :huh:

Hey Rich, I've been training BJJ faithfully for four years now and I have a constant fear that they'll take my blue belt back off me!! When I get to eight years (please God) I'm sure I'll still be a blue belt (faded like myself) because it's not just about time served. My son who is just turning five asks when he can get a black belt and I tell him if he trains hard enough and long enough his white belt will eventually turn black. He notices his white belt is getting dirtier and he's happy with that - saves me paying for badges, gradings etc! So in BJJ we just keep going and the belts come or not; that's why we love it! :love:

Hey Rich, I've been training BJJ faithfully for four years now and I have a constant fear that they'll take my blue belt back off me!! When I get to eight years (please God) I'm sure I'll still be a blue belt (faded like myself) because it's not just about time served. My son who is just turning five asks when he can get a black belt and I tell him if he trains hard enough and long enough his white belt will eventually turn black. He notices his white belt is getting dirtier and he's happy with that - saves me paying for badges, gradings etc! So in BJJ we just keep going and the belts come or not; that's why we love it! :love:

Still no excuse for not washing your kit!! i noticed an aroma on the mats on wednesday!!! hahahahah kidding!! but honestly these clubs where you can get a black belt so easily are ridiculous, i'm not sure if any one at ours will live long enough to get black belts the way we train hahaha!! and your right its nothing to do with the belt, i'm not sure what its actually about its really addictive though!

Are you going to big marks fight on sunday? its at 4o'clock i know its your busiest day! i can get hold of some tickets if your interested. And are you training tonight? :thumbsup:

Yes there was a smell but not from the kit...too much protein and information!! :hihi: John will get his black belt - no doubt- and a couple of the guys are well on their way to purple (just my opinion -counts for nowt). Hopefully the new set up and extra classes will give us all the chance to progress. I'll be there for the gi class - I've got a pass, as long as I bring the sprog! I've no chance on Sunday it's the wee man's birthday party from 2.30-4.30 then I've a service at 6.30. Give Mark a shout from me. Cheers, Noel

Could you guys be any more OT. If you just want a chat, use PM.

:hihi:

GKR sounds like a bunch of idiots to be honest.

Obviously my comment is going to attract a bit of flaming from GKR fans and other sad people so if anybody disagrees me you know who I am and where I am based.

I train with gkr and have done for the last two years!! So i suppose this makes me one of the SAD people out there??

I found your comment to be quite rude, also your threatening behaviour towards those who disagree with you to be no better than that of those in which you are commenting about!!:loopy:

I agree that the situation could have been handled better, and i also agree that there seems to be more of a personal problem between the instructors of gkr and those in which were asked to close.

But you cannot pass judgement against gkr as a whole based on the behaviour of just two people!!

Gkr seems to get alot of bad press, mostly from those who dont seem to know anything about gkr other than what they have read.

I was a sempai for gkr when i was a lower grade, i assisted in teaching those who were around the same grade as myself or lower still. Helped with the signing in of students and looking after the children in the class. I gave up being a sempai due to lack of my own confidence and wanted to concentrate on my own training. Since being with gkr i have made lots of friends, the atmosphere is generally a friendly one. Along the way as some people progress towards there black belts, some get a boost of there ego and can develop an attitude.But not all!!

Gkr is a non contact sports, but you are still likely to optain injuries at some stage during your training! Gkr does state this to their students. Everyone is learning and during the learning process people make mistakes. During kumite you are within close range of another fellow student, blocking and striking, you are bound to get bashed around from time to time. I cant understand how someone could break there arm though, im assuming it was due to negligence on either her partners behalf or her own.

With most things, gkr is either for you or not!! Students come and go of there own will. If they find its helping them in some way they will continue to come back and if they find its not for them they can leave. Alot of students that leave gkr before they reach the goal of black belt normally return at some point down the line anyway.

My point is, gkr is not as bad as you make it out to be.... its certainly helped me gain confidence, fitness etc. non contact does not necessaily mean you will not get hurt, why do you think you need the necessary protective gear? they wont let you train without it!! non contact just means unlike some styles we dont literally punch each others lights out lol chefs you need to chill your bean :hihi:

I will say this again to make myself clear....

KARATE WITHOUT CONTACT IS NOT KARATE..

IT IS NOT A MARTIAL ART.....

For Pete`s sake what do you think Martial means. Don`t even mention the "Self Defence Consultants" talk about a total sales miss-representation.

Hi cazzie1,

If you are happy with GKR then by all means stay with them. However, could you explain how you can have a self defence discipline without contact? I had three GKR people quit them and join us,this would be about 7-8 months ago ,the lady left but the lads stayed on and naturally, told me about GKR.I came to the conclusion from what I've been told and have read, that GKR are,to be polite, pulling the wool over peoples eyes. The GO,I understand, is taken from Goju-Ryu.cazzie1,never in a million years is GKR teaching what they say is Goju. For a start Goju isn't a sport,nor is it competetive,it is totally self defence, that's why it was devised,that is its whole reason for being.Therefore to defend yourself you must have contact of some description. If you go on youtube put Norton Dojo in Search, then that is more like the techniques you should be learning, if GKR say they are teaching Goju. This isn't to recruit members 'cos we're ok, thanks.I appreciate you probably didn't have anything to compare GKR against when you were looking.As I said at the beginning, if you're happy there then stay, but please don't be fooled that you're doing Goju-Ryu. I've no doubt someone else could put you right on the KAN part. Whatever happens, keep trainin'.