Budget tyres vs Premium tyres

The big tyre-dealers class them as mid-level here. Which is amazing to me as in the Netherlands they are considered to be on par with Goodyear and Michelin.

I swapped from Michelin to Vredesteins and couldn't have been happier, they lasted longer, made less noise and the road performance wasn't affected at all. Can't get them at Hawleys anymore as they have been bought out by some big corporate, which is a big shame. Open to recommendations on where you can get Vredesteins!

I don't know if they make them differently over here, but having driven all of those brands of tyres I found the Vredestiens lasted only about 75% of the mileage of the other two.

The most expensive tyres are not always the best. Same can be said with the branded tyres, not all are top quality as the name suggests. As you say, it's much better now they have a grip rating. However that rating is braking distance in wet I believe, not general grip. The grouping per letter is also rather broad. So 2 C rated tyres may be a fair bit different.

As far as getting heap tyres go though, I always buy mine from tyreleader.co.uk

They are particularly cheap for motorbike tyres