St Marys Gate building work

One new block directly behind Ant Marketing will house KH Oriental Food, who currently occupy the warehouse to the south of Boston Street. Normal residential above I think. The tower on the corner will be student residential (I think).

Once KH move across, the second phase will be to demolish that site, and build another lower section of retail on ground floor, residential above.

No restriction on the ethnicity of the residents in the scheme, but I believe the idea with the retail is for it to create a small 'chinatown' square.

Something similiar in Birmingham was (although a little aged when I last went there) quite a cool little destination with some nice restaurants.

Can't really argue with the investment, though I was thinking this morning that the tower will overshadow the church a little. It should be only a little shorter than the Velocity Tower just up the road.

Velocity Tower is currently 22 floors, with plans to extend to 30. This one will be 21 floors :)

They are going to build another 8 floors on top of the velocity tower?

Is that even possible!

Not sure if it'll ever happen, not least due to the noise and disruption for current residents. But I saw someone earlier say that it was only half-completed, and Wikipedia says: Floor count 30 (22 currently erected) :P

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Velocity_Tower

IMO it'll be nice to have some high-rises scattered across the city like Leeds, B'ham and Mcr.

Not sure if it'll ever happen, not least due to the noise and disruption for current residents. But I saw someone earlier say that it was only half-completed, and Wikipedia says: Floor count 30 (22 currently erected) :P

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Velocity_Tower

IMO it'll be nice to have some high-rises scattered across the city like Leeds, B'ham and Mcr.

I was told that over half of the tower is empty......you only have to have a look to see that alot of the balconies have nothing on them and alot of apartments dont have any lights on in the evening.

Edited by AmourDesign

I was told that over half of the tower is empty......you only have to have a look to see that alot of the balconies have nothing on them and the apartments barely have any lights on in the evening.

Really? I've never really noticed. I shall have a look from my bedroom window before bed :)

Velocity Tower is currently 22 floors, with plans to extend to 30. This one will be 21 floors :)

The additional floors are now incredibly likely to happen.

Velocity Tower is currently 22 floors, so this at 21 floors should be only a little shorter than the Velocity Tower just up the road.

Does anybody know what is being built on the corner of Bramall Lane on St Mary's Gate, behind the Aldi?

Just being nosey :)

It's a Chinese funded development costing £65,000,000 , consisting of student apartments tower block , retail and leisure .

Its a student village built by a wealthy Chinese company.

Dont think its exclusively for Chinese student's but it will be marketed directly to potential students in China so i guess there will be a high percentage from that region.

I love the Chinese......great people who integrate in the city so well.

Yes they have done wonders for our steel and cutlery works due to paying starvation wages in China.

But as you say they have integrated into our City very well.

Yes they have done wonders for our steel and cutlery works due to paying starvation wages in China.

But as you say they have integrated into our City very well.

They may earn less but i bet they dont pay over £1500 a year on gas & electric and £5 for a whole chicken.

Every country has a different living wage.....id like to earn the same amount as a Saudi prince but thats just the way it is.

Edited by AmourDesign