The new Moor what do you think.

Agreed about the rain but then your only choice is meadowhall.

Let's not go there. My choice would be Crystal Peaks in a downpour, but in light rain I can park very close to the market in Chez and pick my times for the walk there and back. I suppose that's the problem with public transport. You can't wait for that lull in the weather. Your walk starts when you get off.

I did, went in the day once, it was dead, also been a few times in the evening was pretty similar to a night out in Rotherham, take what you want from that.

---------- Post added 27-01-2016 at 15:29 ----------

Chesterfield is convenient for people in south Sheffield, the city centre is convenient for the whole city, (the clue is in the name).

The tram is within 500m of the Moor. 400m is acceptable recommended walking distance, its not exactly miles out is it.

Where about is that tram stop please.

Bus drops my mate off at the interchange. Reversing our route means a march up to the top of town at the start of the evening, and means we end up in the Tap at the end (which if you've ever been in late is really brightly lit and odd. It's a good place to start, but not to finish).

Good point. But by that time of night I'm usually way too wasted to care!

---------- Post added 28-01-2016 at 09:00 ----------

I was in the swan a few days ago. The beers (12 handpumps as I recall) were virtually all from local brewers. 2 minutes walk from the market and lots of outdoor seating as well.

Yes, that's what I mean. Was a time the Swan had quality casks, not just cheap local stuff. And had a few decent kegs as well. Plus a great range of bottles (I drank my way through a significant chunk of DeMolen's range in the early days). Then the bottles ran out and the kegs were replaced by generic lager. So I stopped going. Haven't actually been to Chesterfield in over a year. But I will give it another go.

Not all of the population live in the same place. Actually Chesterfield is rather convenient for many, and that tram in Sheffield goes no where near the Moor anyhow. Who's idea was that?

We're talking about Sheffield though. Chesterfield isn't convenient for the majority of people who live in Sheffield.

Maybe if you live in Dronfield, or anywhere further South. Maybe if you live in Eckington. For the vast majority of people living in Sheffield though, Sheffield is more convenient.

I think someone already addressed "nowhere near". 5 mins walk from the City Hall tram stop appears to be the closest.

---------- Post added 28-01-2016 at 09:06 ----------

When we called in The White Swan a few days back and it was standing room only. No tables and a lot of diners.

I agree 400 metres is OK. Of course the 500 metres you quote is plus the distance you had to walk to get on it in the first place, the distance you had to walk back afterwards, plus another 500 metres getting back from the Moor to the tram. It does rain a lot around here and 2 kms is a long way in heels.

Chesterfield is busy on market days, which is most days. The other bits I couldn't say.

Was it you that wouldn't use a restaurant unless you could park the car directly outside? Silversmiths wasn't it? Or am I mixing you up with someone else.

What is you're planning to do on the moor that requires you to go there in heels anyway? Even if you'd deign to visit the new cinema, surely you don't wear uncomfortable footwear when doing so?

---------- Post added 28-01-2016 at 09:07 ----------

Let's not go there. My choice would be Crystal Peaks in a downpour

Crystal Peaks for the well known cinema that closed a decade ago, and it's great range of restaurants and pubs?

Or are you just off shopping to the Crystal Peaks indoor market in your high heels? :confused:

I think that the idea of a shuttle service between Midland station and the Moor seems like a good idea. Although it might dilute the efficiency of a simple Moor - Station Link, would it be worth considering extending it and adding in stops serving, say, Bottom of Moor, Division Street, West Street (with access to supertram) & Leopold Street, Pinstone Street (giving access to Fargate and the top of the Moor), Arundel gate and back to the Station. Alternatively, instead of Leopold Street, carry on down High street and then Arundel gate, giving easy access to the Waingate and angel street areas. I think that a well publicized and reliably consistent route with a hop-on, hop-off approach (and simple "pay once and use as often as you want" pricing to suit) would make the centre of Sheffield more attractive and allow people to move easily about it. It would feel less spread out and less of an ordeal to go from one end to the other.

A good point but I wouldn't run past any areas already covered by the tram. I envisaged some form of loop up to the market, then around the back of the moor - but then my knowledge of the road system in Sheffield goes a bit awry and I dunno how you would get back down to the station. Otherwise, as has been pointed out, it turns into the FreeBee. Although I would argue that the reason that didn't do so well is that I personally, coming from Barnsley and working in Sheffield, never knew where it stopped! Chuck a stop directly outside the station and make it brightly coloured (like the Newcastle Quaylink) and people will know what it is.

Where about is that tram stop please.

City hall <500 metres to the top of the moor.

---------- Post added 28-01-2016 at 09:13 ----------

Good point. But by that time of night I'm usually way too wasted to care!

I find it really odd to walk in there at the end of the night, we've done it a few times and it's like someone just turned the lights up for kicking out time.

It's the 20 minute walk at the start that is the problem though. I want a beer at 1930, not 1950. So I just have to settle for not being able to sit in the sun.

In the spirit of fairness to Chesterfield, it looks like I could catch the 1958 (after a pint in the tap) and be in CF in 10 mins.

And then back again at 2245 (a little early, but it's the best option), 20 mins to get back. Time for one more drink in the tap before my mate gets his last bus and I get the tram.

Might try it in Feb and see what Chesterfield is like in an evening.

City hall <500 metres to the top of the moor.

---------- Post added 28-01-2016 at 09:13 ----------

I find it really odd to walk in there at the end of the night, we've done it a few times and it's like someone just turned the lights up for kicking out time.

It's the 20 minute walk at the start that is the problem though. I want a beer at 1930, not 1950. So I just have to settle for not being able to sit in the sun.

In the spirit of fairness to Chesterfield, it looks like I could catch the 1958 (after a pint in the tap) and be in CF in 10 mins.

And then back again at 2245 (a little early, but it's the best option), 20 mins to get back. Time for one more drink in the tap before my mate gets his last bus and I get the tram.

Might try it in Feb and see what Chesterfield is like in an evening.

Well like I said I can't disagree with you. I think they ruined the Tap a long time ago. But the tram out of the station up the hill followed by a gentle walk back down always seemed the better option. I have to be honest tho it's usually the Rutland I end in rather than the Tap.

Chesterfield is definitely on. I enjoyed the run out to the Chesterfield Arms last time I went and I have been told there is another decent pun (the Unicorn?) not far from there. So first nice spring weekend I think I might give it a go.

Rutland is our 2nd stop on the way up :-)

I bet we reverse each others route.

Tap

Rutland

Brew House

Dev Cat

Anchorage

Brew Dog

Tram for me, run to bus station for mate (last bus 2330)

The start being dictated by him not being able to get to town any earlier than the 1930 bus at the interchange.

I could be in town by 1630 (or 1600 when I work in town), so we could start anywhere. His buses limit us to 4 hrs, so taking the extra time to get up to the Anchorage to start seems like a waste.

Edited by Cyclone

Rutland is our 2nd stop on the way up :-)

I bet we reverse each others route.

Tap

Rutland

Brew House

Dev Cat

Anchorage

Brew Dog

Tram for me, run to bus station for mate.

We do almost exactly the reverse. Although I sometimes start in the Bath or Cavendish. We potentially could meet in the middle for a pint sometime!

Do you use Untappd? I might even have you added?