Does anyone remember any of the old shops in Hillsborough

I got all my solid oak handcarved furniture from Harry Slack in the early 70s and still have it all,i was friends with Harry and his wife and Stuart and North their daughter,they lived up Stannington and Harry was a very fair man to deal with,i had carpets and curtains from them as well he helped me a lot in those days.

• 2 weeks later...
That's interesting, mossdog - he must have been a "man of many parts" as he appears in the 1939 Register as a "tram driver", though contemporary directories describe him as a "pianoforte dealer"!
.........it's only what I heard Hilly..........all the local bands used to take their amplifiers for repair to him,he was very good,I bought my first guitar and amplifier from him and mouth organs!........later on he was connected through a family member with Carlsboro Sound Equipment from Mansfield! i had one of their very first bass amplifiers from Ted! Edited by mossdog

It seems that Ted "moved with the times" as far as music was concerned! I remember that my dad (who used to repair radios in the 1940s/50s) knew him, so maybe they had a common interest here. Ted's daughter (called Lily, like her mum) married Thomas Mercer from Mansfield so this may have been the family connection.