(Football) Players Who Cross Themselves

Just how important I wonder, is God to these players who, fully in the glare of fans and the media, make a point of crossing themselves as they enter or leave the pitch.

Then there are those, normally on the continent, who having missed a 'sitter', fall to their knees, put hands together in prayer-like fashion and raise their eyes to the skies and beyond.

I wonder if their beliefs extend to the fact that it's a little bit rich to be taking home (say) £70,000 per week whilst half the world starves to death (despite there being food to feed all)?

Does it never question their mind that strictly speaking, if they are Christian, they ought not to be working on the Sabbath as directed by the Word of God? That effing and blinding (usually English words that the foreign element have no difficulty in learning and remembering) and roughing the referees up isn't exactly setting a good example?

Or maybe, just maybe, it's all a bit of a act? A bit of entertainment for the viewers and the fans who've paid an awful lot of money to watch these 'stars'? Come now, football, we are told, is entertainment. Well, one Didier Drogba knows he is there to entertain.

A bit like some of the programmes one can find on the religious channels on Sky whose message isn't what they'd have you believe (such as, 'Believe in the Lord Jesus Christ and you will be saved') but one of 'money can be sent to us at....'

The thoughts of the intelligent posters of SF most certainly welcome.

Interesting point, but I wonder if you treat old dears who cross themselves with the same scepticism?

You seem like a lapsed fan to me?

Interesting point, but I wonder if you treat old dears who cross themselves with the same scepticism?

You seem like a lapsed fan to me?

Macca, I'm honestly not trying to come across with scepticism. I'm putting forward an observation and welcome other people's opinions.

I still love football, but it's been nearly nine years since I last went to a match.

The gist of my argument is: Are these players crossing themselves merely to make a show?

Macca, I'm honestly not trying to come across with scepticism. I'm putting forward an observation and welcome other people's opinions.

I still love football, but it's been nearly nine years since I last went to a match.

The gist of my argument is: Are these players crossing themselves merely to make a show?

Well, by far the vast majority (if not all) of the players I see cross themselves are of African, Latin or central/eastern european origin/roots. They come from parts of the world where christianity is still a big part of the culture. On that basis I would be prepared to offer them the benefit of the doubt.

I would be amazed (and very dismayed) if there was even one player who did it for effect.

I would think it more likely that it's done by way of a superstitious practice, in the same vein as 'touching wood' and as Macca observes possibly a culturally related phenomenon.

They cross themselves because they are Catholic, DOH!!!!!!!!!! As do other athletes who are Catholic. Simple as that, no hidden meanings or showmanship.

Show me a Scottish Rangers player who crosses himself? :rolleyes:

They cross themselves because they are Catholic, DOH!!!!!!!!!! As do other athletes who are Catholic. Simple as that, no hidden meanings or showmanship.

Show me a Scottish Rangers player who crosses himself? :rolleyes:

Sebastian Rosenthal used to......and he was Jewish.

Sebastian Rosenthal used to......and he was Jewish.

Wasn't his Gran a Catholic? :D

Wasn't his Gran a Catholic? :D

Not sure TBH. What is not in question is the fact that he was pish. However, back to the original point: quite a few of the Italians at Rangers used to bless themselves until they were put in the picture..LOL.