RTA - Question about traffic accident (Am I being extorted)?

Hi All,

I just had a neighbour say that I bumped into his car when I reversing using his drive on the 27th September (yes, a month ago)!

He called me out of the blue today, saying he's got it on CCTV and will not go to the police as long as I arrange for someone to go look at it and pay for the damage? He said that on the CCTV you can see both cars rock from the impact - surely I would have felt that? No?

Anyway, my question is - Am I liable for this? He offered to show me the CCTV footage but I don't even know if that holds any relevance. He is into photography & digital art and I know the CCTV footage is easy to edit. Should I go to the police first and say that I am being accused?

Hope you guys can help me!

Maybe its took this long to notice the bump, then go backwards through the cctv.

Look at the cctv, compare positioning of the cars to the damage, then take it from there..

If he's invited you to look at the footage and it is you then yes you should pay for the damage, the police won't get involved as its a civil matter, but he could use the footage as evidence for the insurance company.

I will be going up to view it on Saturday. I most likely will end up paying it just to avoid the hassle, but if I'm honest I really do not think it's a valid accusation.

Well if it is your car that impacts on his stationary vehicle in his driveway, then I thinks it is a valid accusation.

No problem - just wanted to know where I stood.

Thanks guys

I will be going up to view it on Saturday. I most likely will end up paying it just to avoid the hassle, but if I'm honest I really do not think it's a valid accusation.

How can you ask if your are being extorted if the neighbour has asked you to get someone to look at the damage and arrange payment for the repair ?

I wouldn't wait until Saturday , I would go now to look at the evidence .

How do you get on with this neighbour? Is he a reasonable sort and do you have a good relationship with him? That's probably your best clue as to the validity of his claim.

He's only asked you to repair the damage you've done.

Maybe if you weren't using his driveway to turn around in the first place you wouldn't be in this mess??

Hi All,

I just had a neighbour say that I bumped into his car when I reversing using his drive on the 27th September (yes, a month ago)!

He called me out of the blue today, saying he's got it on CCTV and will not go to the police as long as I arrange for someone to go look at it and pay for the damage? He said that on the CCTV you can see both cars rock from the impact - surely I would have felt that? No?

Anyway, my question is - Am I liable for this? He offered to show me the CCTV footage but I don't even know if that holds any relevance. He is into photography & digital art and I know the CCTV footage is easy to edit. Should I go to the police first and say that I am being accused?

Hope you guys can help me!

It's not at all easy to manipulate a CCTV image.

Look at the video, take a look at your car and at his car.

Proceed from there.

I am slightly worried that you only think he is making this up. I'd be pretty sure I'd *know* if he was making it up. How can someone hit another car hard enough to damage it and not know about it?

I've known him a while but mainly as an acquaintance - we're not what I call friends but we say "hello" that kind of thing. He seems to be a straight up guy, but you never know. I'll look at the footage and most likely just pay - Maybe I'm being over-sceptical as its 2015 and scams are rife, lol.

Thanks for the help guys - I'll just use a different drive to turn on in future.