Plusnet Unfair Cancellation Charge

Hi guys,

Need some help i was Plusnet customer since October 2014, on 20th July 2015 i received an email regarding the price rise and been advised that i can cancel without being charged within 30 days.

I rang on 24th July 2015 asked them if they could give me better price or i leave, they gave me reduced price but it was not matching with Sky's offer, so i said offer is not good and what the process to cancel they told me that just sign up as normal and that's it.

I signed up on 24th July with Sky and the same day received an email from Plusnet that you leaving early so you have to pay termination fee.

I contacted Plus net the same day 24th July 2015 and told them the situation, been advised that ignore these emails as these are computer generated since then i started ignoring emails.

The problem started when i received another email on 17/09/2015 saying that i have to pay outstanding balance of £9.71 otherwise my name will be passed to their deb recovery department.

I contacted again via chat on 17/09/2015 and been told that its cancellation charge and i have to pay because i did not ring to cancel, i said i rang on 24th July 2015 to cancel again been told that they will look into it and solve the problem.

After that i contacted Plusnet again via chat on 02/10/2015 asking whats going on been told now i have to pay £23.61 because of cancellation charge, again i told them i made a proper call on 24th July, again been told that they will look into it.

On 22nd Oct 2015 my Plusnet account fully closed so i could not see what's happening, i contacted them again regarding this matter been told they cant find any records that i made call on 24th July which is shocking been told i have to pay now no matter what.

This time i rang customer service on 22nd Oct 2015 at 18:21 PM, told them all story, he told me he can see a call made on 24th July all they need is to listen this call and they will contacted me tomorrow 23/10/2915 with outcome.

I missed a private call on 23rd October 2015 around 13.30PM so i assumed it was from Plusnet so i rang Plusnet and been told nobody rang me today, i told them that i rang on 22nd October and spoke to someone and he suppose to ring back, again shocked with the reply that they cant find any records of that call too and no matter what i have to pay the charge.

I asked them to send me call logs during July which she going to send in few days but i am really shocked, please advice me what to do this is totally ridiculous

There are a few points in the cancellation procedure to do with final payments..

"6. Final Payments

When requesting a cancellation, a final payment will be required to cover the notice period. Customers will have access to their account up until this final day."

"Customers will be billed any remaining call charges and outstanding line rental 7 days after the transfer to the new provider, or the cease, has been completed."

http://www.plus.net/support/service/policies/cancellation.shtml

Have a read..maybe some of these apply to you?

There are a few points in the cancellation procedure to do with final payments..

"6. Final Payments

When requesting a cancellation, a final payment will be required to cover the notice period. Customers will have access to their account up until this final day."

"Customers will be billed any remaining call charges and outstanding line rental 7 days after the transfer to the new provider, or the cease, has been completed."

http://www.plus.net/support/service/policies/cancellation.shtml

Have a read..maybe some of these apply to you?

My services with Sky gone live on 19th August, Plusnet sent me final bill and refunded me some money which they owed me they are charging for cancelling the services

When you complain then take peoples names and keep a record of what was said and to whom.

Just state your case in writing and send it recorded delivery. You claim to have canceled on 24th July and your only proof will now be the phone call. Ot doesnt sound like a complicated problem and id expect to sort it out with them, but whoever you get in the organisation you need to fill them in clearly and quickly then take their name so you cna track whats happening. Nothing to panic about.

If you cnat do it yourself take it to CAB.

Btw is canceling the services becayse you canceled before a year?

Trymans gone to the trouble of referring you to the ts and cs which you should be looking at as well.

My services with Sky gone live on 19th August, Plusnet sent me final bill and refunded me some money which they owed me they are charging for cancelling the services

Were you on a year's contract or anything like that?

Were you on a year's contract or anything like that?

That would be my suspicion amd the charge is in fact for canceling early. It will be in the ts and cs. Clienst often miss important information out, but if the IP has talked to customer services they should have pointed this out.

Why would they get 30 days?

Its just a case of persevering and claering it up with them. Doesnt sound complicated at all.

Thanks guys for your support i received the call back from the guy who acknowledged yesterdays that i made a call and he listened that call now acknowledged that i made proper call to cancel it so he removing the fees. Also complained about cowboys who mislead and caused stress.

Thanks guys for your support i received the call back from the guy who acknowledged yesterdays that i made a call and he listened that call now acknowledged that i made proper call to cancel it so he removing the fees. Also complained about cowboys who mislead and caused stress.

Believe it when you see it and gj for persevering. At least you could remeber and explain the sequenc of events which was helpful.

Always try and keep records.

Try and take someones name or a refernce number so you have something to refer to.

Well done for sorting it out anyway.

To clear things up, i was in one years contract but because they rise their prices in July they gave me option if i ring to cancel and move to another provider within 30 days of receiving price rise email, i will not get charged for any termination fee.

So i rang to cancel 3 days after receiving price rise email..

---------- Post added 23-10-2015 at 16:38 ----------

Believe it when you see it and gj for persevering. At least you could remeber and explain the sequenc of events which was helpful.

Always try and keep records.

Try and take someones name or a refernce number so you have something to refer to.

Well done for sorting it out anyway.

I mostly communicate through chat so i had all their chat logs only mistake was when i rang on 24th July did not take their name or reference, definitely will do in future

Best just leaving the customer services are unbelievably poor I discussed problem with them and best advice was if I didn't like it I should leave but would be charged £40 cancellation charge which whenI did leave became £96 after numerous calls web chats and writing to them they agreed to resolve issue only when I said I was going to ombudsman. finally paid bill to be charged next day for new contract. 4 phone calls later (department can't communicate with each other internally) got some sort of resolution. Asked to speak to a supervisor or manager but company policy is that they don't speak to customers no way to raise complaint on phone

Since BT bought them, they have gone down and down... worked there, it was ok, now i hear ppl cursing the place, and so many issues!! :/

That would be my suspicion amd the charge is in fact for canceling early. It will be in the ts and cs. Clienst often miss important information out, but if the IP has talked to customer services they should have pointed this out.

Why would they get 30 days?

Its just a case of persevering and claering it up with them. Doesnt sound complicated at all.

The OP quite clearly states that due to a price increase he was free to cancel early despite being in contract.