Advice please..routes into teaching/asst post

I would very much appreciate any info - i am very interested in becoming a teaching asst in a primary school. This is a total career change so will need advice re training options and various routes into working in a school environment. I don't have any specific training,qualifications or relevant experience working with kids.

I've already looked on gov website and spoken to childrens centre on leopold street but training options are as clear as mud. I am currently working in healthcare in nhs- have been for 6 years - and trained full time for three of these so am hoping for a more training on the job type experience rather than full time study but am prepared for full time study if neccessary- any advice at all would be most appreciated.:thumbsup:

Hi Sheff6nic

The first thing I would recommend you do is offer your services as a volunteer in school helping to hear children read. If you've got any children yourself, volunteer at their school (I love parents coming into my classroom) This is a good way to decide if you like it as you can observe on a one to one basis and if you go in regular, see what the classroom environment is really like and if it's for you.

I know a lot of the teaching assistants at my school were initially volunteers and then got recommended by the head to do NVQs and further training. If you can afford to take one morning a week for this summer term whilst you are doing your own job, I would highly recommend it.

Don't forget you will need a CRB check.

I have a teaching assistant student in my class at the minute. She is doing an NVQ Level 2. I think the NVQ is now the standard qualification for teaching assistants.

She worked full time in an office prior to this but now works 3 days a week. The other 2 are split - 1 in college and 1 in school. She has said that there is a lot of written paperwork to do but she is really enjoying it.

Definitely volunteer in a school to work with individual children or small groups.

In the future, consider working towards becoming a higher level teaching assistant (HLTA), as with the introduction of PPA time for teachers, many schools are using these to cover lessons.

I did the CACHE level 2 Teaching Assistant course last year through Sheff College. It was 1 day a week in college and 2 half days placement in school.

Finished the course and passed with Distinction only to discover that Sheffield LEA don't recognise the qualification! It has to be NVQ level. SO glad I didn't have to pay the £300+ course fee!

Archived