Disability Sheffield have joined the Forum

Where do disabled people face most discrimination in their lives?  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Where do disabled people face most discrimination in their lives?

• When shopping or buying goods and services?
    • When trying to get a job?
    • When they are in education?
    • When trying to have a social life?

User led disabled people's organisation have joined the Forum and will be happy to pick up on queries where it can. We plan to pop up posts about any consultations and issues we know are taking place and affecting the lives of disabled people in Sheffield.

Looking forward to taking part.

:)

• 1 month later...

Welcome to the SF. I'm sure your expertise and experience will be a big help to other members. But you can have some fun as well, all sorts of different sections and groups on here. It can be interesting sometimes, other times not so much.

Is it true disabled people struggle more to get benefits?

Hi philly123 - it certainly is true that many struggle with what appears to be quite unhelpful and sometimes unfair processes for benefits to which they are entitled. Disability Sheffield does worry about the effects on disabled people affected by changes to DLA and PIP and for those affected by ESA procedures and the effects these have on people's health well being. We have drawn attention to these problems with both national and local politicians, as well as DWP officials and other Gov Departments.

We are often contacted by disabled people wanting information about their

entitlement to benefits or requesting assistance to complete an application form or appeal a decision. Unfortunately we are currently unable to offer benefits advice as we do not have funding in place for a welfare rights worker.

We can signpost you to your nearest advice centre or if you have access to a

computer you can easily find your nearest advice centre on the Advice Sheffield website.

Our message to disabled people is to please don't hesitate to call us or get in touch if you think we can help. We can at least sign post you to other orgs who can help.

(Looks like we have to make 5 comments/postings before we can send any web links and so we'll post signposting links in due course)

Andrew

---------- Post added 08-11-2015 at 13:40 ----------

As promised here are the links to those websites containing further advice on benefits:

https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/in-your-area/benefit/claimingbenefit.html

http://www.disabilityrightsuk.org/how-we-can-help/benefits-information/factsheets/factsheets-alphabetical-order

http://www.disabilityrightsuk.org/how-we-can-help/benefits-information/timetable-forthcoming-welfare-benefits-changes

http://www.advicesheffield.org.uk/self-help/benefits-tax-credits

Please visit our website and have a look at our benefits information:

http://www.disabilitysheffield.org.uk/admin/resources/benefits-information-factsheet-feb-2015.pdf

• 2 months later...
User led disabled people's organisation have joined the Forum and will be happy to pick up on queries where it can. We plan to pop up posts about any consultations and issues we know are taking place and affecting the lives of disabled people in Sheffield.

Looking forward to taking part.

:)

Hi do you help disabled people with benefit problems particularly with housing benefit? Please feel free to pm me as I have hit a minefield, thanks,

Phil

I am very pleased to find that Disability Sheffield have joined the Forum, congratulations and welcome.

One of my main ambitions in life is to encourage disabled people to 'get out there' and enjoy life. I have come across thousands, yes really, of disabled people who never leave their home area. I can prove this by talking to Motability who have a vast number of cars returned after three years with just a couple of thousand miles on the clock.

There is a whole world out there full of things to do, life is short and we should make every day count. I realise that we often complain that hotels and venues are not disabled friendly,

but I have found many, many places that go the extra mile.

Among my successes I would like to include the production of a PEEP ( a personal emergency evacuation plan) to help evacuate disabled people from buildings in an emergency.

I have worked with Highways England who wanted to know how to help disabled drivers on the Strategic Road Network.

My most ambitious plan, to date, and still in it's embryonic form is to introduce a national mobility scooter safety scheme. I worry about the many accidents, including fatalities, caused by these extremely useful machines. My intention is to organise a national network of training centres presenting successful candidates with a certificate of proficiency. I also plan to campaign for compulsory insurance. My aim is to make our roads and pavements safer and to make mobility scooters much more friendly in the eyes of the general public.

To get this scheme off the ground is going to involve a lot of work and the cooperation of many prospective stakeholders. I am excited by the interest and reaction that I have received already and I do feel that the effort will be well worthwhile.

Edited by IRONMONGER
Grammar

• 2 weeks later...