For the people of Rivelin/Stannington.

Should the junction be opened up?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Should the junction be opened up?

• Yes
    • No

I'm not sdure how you "open up" (widen) a bridge. Possibly build another adjacent to it with a link, so that each one becomes one way, at a cost tens of thousands.

The reason for the bottleneck is not the bridge, but the volume of traffic leaving stannington, all who have to either go via Malin Bridge/Holme Lane (another huge bottleneck) or Hollins Lane, and the latter meets Rivelin Valley road which has endless traffic on it, not allowing cars to escape.

The bottleneck cause is not the bridge, but traffic volume.

If the Dyson Refractories development goes ahead, traffic volume will only increase

I'm not sdure how you "open up" (widen) a bridge. Possibly build another adjacent to it with a link, so that each one becomes one way, at a cost tens of thousands.

The reason for the bottleneck is not the bridge, but the volume of traffic leaving stannington, all who have to either go via Malin Bridge/Holme Lane (another huge bottleneck) or Hollins Lane, and the latter meets Rivelin Valley road which has endless traffic on it, not allowing cars to escape.

The bottleneck cause is not the bridge, but traffic volume.

If the Dyson Refractories development goes ahead, traffic volume will only increase

And the rest !

I've been saying that junction should be opened up for years. The standing traffic on Hollins Drive and Walkley Bank can't be good for the pollution levels in that vicinity; better to let it flow more smoothly, surely.

Why is there no mention of the people living in Walkley?

nobody cares about Walkley 'cos unlike Stannington "village", Walkley is full of honest, hardworking, down-to-earth working class folk like you and I.

Well, like you anyways.

So nobody cares about your predicament.

Except for me. I'm always sticking up for the little guy.

I'm glad I don't live round there anymore. The traffic! In all seriousness, how would you 'open up' the bridge? It's not a tin of beans! It needs another bridge alongside it, and very expensive junction reconfiguring. My estimate, quarter of a million minimum.

For all their faults and stupidity, the council don't have a magic wand to wave to make bridges wider.

Alcoblog; I've got half an idea involving a lot of old pallets.....

I'm glad I don't live round there anymore. The traffic! In all seriousness, how would you 'open up' the bridge? It's not a tin of beans! It needs another bridge alongside it, and very expensive junction reconfiguring. My estimate, quarter of a million minimum.

For all their faults and stupidity, the council don't have a magic wand to wave to make bridges wider.

Alcoblog; I've got half an idea involving a lot of old pallets.....

I doubt it would be as much as that.

A lot more of you would fit through if you all rode bicycles. I suggest you choose that option.

Plus then I'll be the only one in a car and I won't have to sit in a traffic jam.

It should be opened up, its totally inadequate. It won't increase traffic through there, the same amount of traffic will pass through only smoother and quicker.

It should be opened up, its totally inadequate. It won't increase traffic through there, the same amount of traffic will pass through only smoother and quicker.

Do please explain how you 'open up' a bridge. In all seriousness, it's not just pop to B&Q for a bag of cement and knock something up on a Sunday afternoon.

Wonder how many cars take up the full width of the bridge for four empty seats? Not that that's a criticism, people are entirely entitled to carry a tonne of metal round with them everywhere they go as that's the only possible way of doing things apparently.....

Do please explain how you 'open up' a bridge. In all seriousness, it's not just pop to B&Q for a bag of cement and knock something up on a Sunday afternoon.

Wonder how many cars take up the full width of the bridge for four empty seats? Not that that's a criticism, people are entirely entitled to carry a tonne of metal round with them everywhere they go as that's the only possible way of doing things apparently.....

Its not beyond the wit of man to widen a bridge surely, I mean as engineering projects go its not insurmountable.

The sensible solution would be to make it one way.

Is this too simple ?

It wouldn't cost too much apart from a 'no entry' sign'.

http://list.historicengland.org.uk/resultsingle.aspx?uid=1270444

The bridge is Grade 11 listed and cannot be touched - an old packhorse bridge apparently.

I'm pleased - one way it is then !

http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/6966-racker-way/

More information here.

Edited by Daven