Am I still allowed to question climate change?

It comes as no surprise that global warming activists latch onto an idea such as Global dimming to explain away the fact their entire ethos looks less likely to be manmade and nothing more than a ploy to make the gullible accept measures they would otherwise refuse.

Err no, Global dimming was discovered and touted several years ago.

Do keep up!;)

]With the relative silence of our own media, I'm inclined to say this looks it is being suppressed from being broadcast to the nation at a level it deserves. If these emails are not discredited within 48 hours and our media is still sitting on its hands, there are indeed foul deeds afoot.

:thumbsup: Climategate

If these emails are genuine, then the supposed experts who advise our nation do not believe their own claims and privately despair at the data they see. There is no mention of Global Dimming to explain the data.

There's is also no evidence or reference or mention in the e-mails that man made climate change is a conspiracy to raise taxes concocted by world governments.

More pearls of wisdom from Phil Jones at the UEA CRU. Time for him to go methinks.

Mike,

Just sent loads of station data to Scott. Make sure he documents everything better this time ! And don't leave stuff lying around on ftp sites - you never know who is trawling them. The two MMs have been after the CRU station data for years. If they ever hear there is a Freedom of Information Act now in the UK, I think I'll delete the file rather than send to anyone. Does your similar act in the US force you to respond to enquiries within 20 days? - our does ! The UK works on precedents, so the first request will test it.

We also have a data protection act, which I will hide behind. Tom Wigley has sent me a worried email when he heard about it - thought people could ask him for his model code. He has retired officially from UEA so he can hide behind that. IPR should be relevant here, but I can see me getting into an argument with someone at UEA who'll say we must adhere to it !

So it would appear that most of the storylines (note true believers don't call them predictions or even projections) from the models may be suspect.

Here's what the Guardian commentator Bob ward(Policy and Communications Director at the Grantham Research Institute on Climate Change and the Environment at the London School of Economics and Political Science thinks :

"Over the past five years, Mann and Jones in particular have been subjected not only to legitimate scrutiny by other researchers, but also to a co-ordinated campaign of personal attacks on their reputation by 'sceptics'. If the hacked e-mails are genuine, they only show that climate researchers are human, and that they speak badly in private about 'sceptics' who accuse them of fraud."

"It is inevitable as we approach the crucial meeting in conference in Copenhagen in December that the sceptics would try some stunt to try to undermine a global agreement on climate change. There is no smoking gun, but just a lot of smoke without fire."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2009/nov/20/climate-sceptics-email-hacking

What are the major factors in Global Dimming?

"Dimming appears to be caused by air pollution. Burning coal, oil and wood, whether in cars, power stations or cooking fires, produces not only invisible carbon dioxide (the principal greenhouse gas responsible for global warming) but also tiny airborne particles of soot, ash, sulphur compounds and other pollutants.

This visible air pollution reflects sunlight back into space, preventing it reaching the surface. But the pollution also changes the optical properties of clouds. Because the particles seed the formation of water droplets, polluted clouds contain a larger number of droplets than unpolluted clouds. Recent research shows that this makes them more reflective than they would otherwise be, again reflecting the Sun's rays back into space."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sn/tvradio/programmes/horizon/dimming_prog_summary.shtml

"It is inevitable as we approach the crucial meeting in conference in Copenhagen in December that the sceptics would try some stunt to try to undermine a global agreement on climate change. There is no smoking gun, but just a lot of smoke without fire."

[/b]

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2009/nov/20/climate-sceptics-email-hacking

Couldn't agree more with it not being a smoking gun. However I also agree with Patrick J Michaels

“This is not a smoking gun, this is a mushroom cloud,” said Patrick J. Michaels, a climatologist who has long faulted evidence pointing to human-driven warming and is criticized in the documents.

source http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/21/science/earth/21climate.html

PS All the hacked data hasn't yet been released. There is more to come. Enough rope and all that.