Big Issue banned by Waitrose

Nobody has said that they ever felt pressured or that they complained... So it seems likely that you're wrong.

Waitrose said it was because of people complaining they felt 'forced to buy' a copy from Andy. What it didn't say was whether they actually did buy one or not - I'd suspect not.

When I was down there last weekend the Sally Army were there with their band and tin rattling. I have nothing against the SA at all but was a wee tad more in your face. (btw the anti-BI neighbours who moaned at Waitrose have also complained about them marching up and down our road of a Sunday morn which may well be why they're in Waitrose carpark). Didn't borther me and I usually slept through it anyway.

I mean nobody here on the forum.

Have you stopped to think about what might have suddenly changed.

Why were Waitrose perfectly happy for 4+ years until now.

"Snobs" will have been frequenting Waitrose since day 1. Waitrose have already said on record that they requested Andy changed his location to the exit area and he failed to comply. There were also a number of other reasons separate to the customer complaints.

This to me is far far more than just "snobby customers".

As long as the new seller behaves and does what Waitrose ask him to do on THEIR own land, then lets see.

Yes I have actually but I can see no evidence of anything changing. The only evidence of anyone complaining publicly was mentioned by a poster who said it was because he was lowering the tone. Which he would have on day 1 according to their opinion.

So wonder what has happened to cause it.

Had Waitrose not responded to these concerns, someone on here would doubtless have started a thread about that.

Although I'm not a Waitrose customer, I'd certainly rather support a supermarket that actually took action on behalf of its customers. So kudos to Waitrose.

So what action would you recommend for those of us who don't like and don't agree to the so called '100 complainers'?

So what action would you recommend for those of us who don't like and don't agree to the so called '100 complainers'?

I think the best solution would be to buy the big issue from him. As other posters have mentioned on here he is now outside the town hall.

I think the best solution would be to buy the big issue from him. As other posters have mentioned on here he is now outside the town hall.

I will be now I know where he is. But that wasn't quite what I meant. For clarity where I'm coming from is that a small number in the overall number who shop there moaned about Andy. What about those of us who have a problem who have a counter view and we moan about the result of their so called complaints ? Where's Waitrose's so called kudos. then? They have none for me.

Waitrose was a very good pitch in that a vendor could build up a 'bank' of regular customers, who would know where to look for him (me included). Town Hall is a very different kind of pitch - very bustly (is that a word?) and I've seen other vendors there who have had a hard time making sales. I'm not sure if it is 'snobbery' that has scuppered Andy's placement at waitrose. In my opinion, I am pretty sure that Andy is a bit ADHD - he just can't keep still and some people can't cope with that. - I once did a charity collection with a family whose child was on the autistic spectrum and was told by one passer-by 'that kid isn't doing your cause any good'.

Shopping in Morrisons one day, I noticed a guy singing and then making strange noises. At first I was alarmed and then I realised that he had tourettes. Once I recognised that, I could quite easily accommodate that and let him be who he was. This is the same with Andy - he is who he is and he means no harm. I can't see Waitrose backing down on this, but I do hope that Andy can get a pitch that suits his selling approach and where he can again build up a regular customer base.

Waitrose was a very good pitch in that a vendor could build up a 'bank' of regular customers, who would know where to look for him (me included). Town Hall is a very different kind of pitch - very bustly (is that a word?) and I've seen other vendors there who have had a hard time making sales. I'm not sure if it is 'snobbery' that has scuppered Andy's placement at waitrose. In my opinion, I am pretty sure that Andy is a bit ADHD - he just can't keep still and some people can't cope with that. - I once did a charity collection with a family whose child was on the autistic spectrum and was told by one passer-by 'that kid isn't doing your cause any good'.

Shopping in Morrisons one day, I noticed a guy singing and then making strange noises. At first I was alarmed and then I realised that he had tourettes. Once I recognised that, I could quite easily accommodate that and let him be who he was. This is the same with Andy - he is who he is and he means no harm. I can't see Waitrose backing down on this, but I do hope that Andy can get a pitch that suits his selling approach and where he can again build up a regular customer base.

I just wish Godzilla everyone could be as understanding as you clearly are and recognise that there are some who can't help the way they are - tourettes being a case in point - and cut people some slack. So for those who did villify Andy to Waitrose and for everyone who has problems, the entire population of Sheffield isn't agin you - just a few sad individuals who think you don't quite fit their view of what's acceptable. To them I say Tough! Wear it! This is reality people!

Be interesting to know what this 'something serious' was

Be interesting to know what this 'something serious' was

I would too as it wasnt serious enough for Big Issue to drop him and they moved him to outside the town hall so he cant be that dangerous.

However we will never know. I suspect what happened was probably along the lines of. Posh shopper complained. Staff asked him to move. He was a little upset and said a few words. Staff reported him.

As if it was more serious you'd think the police would get involved and he wouldnt be allowed to stand outside the town hall.

Waitrose was a very good pitch in that a vendor could build up a 'bank' of regular customers

If it's a good spot for regular sales, then is it fair that the same person has the benefit of it year after year?

Waitrose are willing to still accommodate a Big Issue seller, aren't they?

Just asking!