Trans atlantic trade agreement, lower prices 2 million more jobs

Aslong as the nhs is ring fenced and protected I think we should get this going asap. Taking away that 3% tarriff is going to help small businesses. Food will become cheaper and we can export to the huge us market.

Farmers, manufacturing..it looks good.

why the hell would American companies be falling over themselves to sell us CHEAPER products?

And if you think food is expensive, try shopping at asda instead of tesco or waitrose

Leave ip out of the agreement too...

---------- Post added 09-05-2015 at 15:02 ----------

why the hell would American companies be falling over themselves to sell us CHEAPER products?

And if you think food is expensive, try shopping at asda instead of tesco or waitrose

Everyone has to eat, it could save families money.

Its also about reducing the trade tarriff so things can be manufactured more cheaply..Auto mobile parts for example.

---------- Post added 09-05-2015 at 15:03 ----------

It works both ways..export and import.

Leave ip out of the agreement too

is it true that Microsoft can sue the British government for any unlicensed copies of office or Windows they find on your computer?

is it true that Microsoft can sue the British government for any unlicensed copies of office or Windows they find on your computer?

Not sure...could be scaremongering..protecting soverignty should be paramount anyway.

Aslong as the nhs is ring fenced and protected I think we should get this going asap. Taking away that 3% tarriff is going to help small businesses. Food will become cheaper and we can export to the huge us market.

Farmers, manufacturing..it looks good.

Have a closer look

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/dec/02/transatlantic-free-trade-deal-regulation-by-lawyers-eu-us

The commission insists that its Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership should include a toxic mechanism called investor-state dispute settlement. Where this has been forced into other trade agreements, it has allowed big corporations to sue governments before secretive arbitration panels composed of corporate lawyers, which bypass domestic courts and override the will of parliaments.

Already it is being used by mining companies to sue governments trying to keep them out of protected areas; by banks fighting financial regulation; by a nuclear company contesting Germany's decision to switch off atomic power. After a big political fight we've now been promised plain packaging for cigarettes. But it could be nixed by an offshore arbitration panel. The tobacco company Philip Morris is currently suing Australia through the same mechanism in another treaty.

Sounds like a terrible idea to me.

---------- Post added 09-05-2015 at 16:08 ----------

Not sure...could be scaremongering..protecting soverignty should be paramount anyway.

How can you start a thread in favour of this when you know nothing about it :huh:

Have a closer look

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/dec/02/transatlantic-free-trade-deal-regulation-by-lawyers-eu-us

Sounds like a terrible idea to me.

---------- Post added 09-05-2015 at 16:08 ----------

How can you start a thread in favour of this when you know nothing about it :huh:

I know as much as any layman. Like ive mentioned with certain caveats and from what ive read it appears a good deal for the uk. All the main parties were in favour bar greens. Talks are ongoing so nothing is concrete.

I know as much as any layman. Like ive mentioned with certain caveats and from what ive read it appears a good deal for the uk. All the main parties were in favour bar greens. Talks are ongoing so nothing is concrete.

Did you read the article?

What one must realise is that this is deal between the EU and the USA - NOT UK and USA.

I wouldn't sell our sovereignty for 3% of anything!

UKIP were (are) fighting form the NHS to be excluded!

Nhs will remain public..the ttip makes europe stronger.

We are part of the eu. To that extent were european, e.g. food standards. I quite like being part of that wider union, again under the right conditions. On a nother thread folk are talking about moving countries...eu membership makes it easy.

---------- Post added 10-05-2015 at 11:12 ----------

Did you read the article?

Yes, and I understand the concerns but you also must understand who monbiot is and where he comes from politically..

Of course businesses want this to happen for a variety of reasons.

Standardisation and growth are two of the benefits for us. It might not be very popular until after the eu referendum, which i think will be a vote 'stay in' btw.

Edited by ubermaus