Driving lesson question

If you were paying for driving lessons for someone and you were the one who found the teacher would you be ok with the driving instructor (no name no shame) letting them go 55 in a 40 zone with no attempt to intervene neither verbally or by using their set of pedals? Its a genuine question, no ulterior motives and im not naming the driving school under any circumstances :).

Edited by Timeh

As Alice is the only one to offer a sensible reply and as its the same answer i was thinking myself ill take it my decision was right. On a personal level i hate to be all bossy and put my foot down but i dont think i have a great deal of choice.

Thanks aliceBB :)

As someone going through lessons right now, my instructor would ask me my current speed and remind me to slow down and keep to the limit. If I failed to listen, theyd use their dual controls to slow me down.

As a learner, you need to keep to the speed limit, as a mile over can fail you on you road test.

As someone going through lessons right now, my instructor would ask me my current speed and remind me to slow down and keep to the limit. If I failed to listen, theyd use their dual controls to slow me down.

As a learner, you need to keep to the speed limit, as a mile over can fail you on you road test.

That's what I thought as the day of my test approached (mid-1980's). My driving instructor organised a dummy test with a different instructor and to help in ensuring I didn't exceed the speed limit I purposely avoided going into 4th gear (no 5th or 6th gears then in the cars I was given to drive)! I'd never done it before during driving lessons but got paranoid about exceeding the speed limit on the test. I failed the dummy test on that alone so drove 'properly' on the real test and passed easily :cool:

A single mile per hour over the limit is unlikely to result in a fail - difficult to sense and spot the needle position from the examiner's seating position. (Can't say the same for a digital read out of the speed, though).

10% over is more easily noted by the examiner through an in-built speed sense and a glance over at the needle.

Such a speed for a moment or three would be noted as a fault and, if addressed promptly, nothing else.

Such a speed held for more than this would probably result in the examiner asking what the limit on the road is and a mark in the Examiner Took Action (ETA) Verbal (V) boxes resulting in a fail.

---------- Post added 08-04-2015 at 16:40 ----------

And every single mph over any given speed makes a disproportionately huge difference to the force of impact in any collision.

Edited by DT Ralge