Car Culture? (Or just car stuff in general)

Hello,

Just wondering if there's any people who have nice cars, or tuners around Sheffield? Or just anybody that loves their car. I haven't seen many nice cars around Sheffield, apart from the standard Merc's, BMW's etc.

Also, just a question to ask, what's the best car you've seen around Sheffield? Personally I saw a La Ferrari cruising here once, truly beautiful! :cool:

Sit outside Nonnas on Ecclesall Road most evenings and you will no doubt see more than your standard Mercs BMW's etc

I have see a number of Ferraris , Lamboghinis , Bentleys , Aston Martins on Ecclesall Road over the years and as for Porsche there are that many they hardly warrant a second look

Best car, toss up between my friends Ferrari 360 Spider or his Aventador

---------- Post added 19-04-2015 at 11:53 ----------

I saw one a few days ago for the first time.

Being my favourite brand of car, that's a big thing for me !

A bit out of Sheffield but The Cadeby Inn in Cadeby near Sprotborough is a The Yorkshire Venue for the Supercar Drivers Club whose members drive there and you end up with a car park full of Supercars to admire

Has anyone seen the driveway up Crookes end somewhere with two SLS AMG's, a GTR and an Aston Martin on there that never seem to move? Would love to know the story behind it.

Is it the Private Doctor's surgery near the Fulwood Road / Manchester Road junction?

There are four sports cars (you could justifiably call them supercars instead) on the drive; a black Nissan GTR, an Aston Martin, a white Merc SLS and I think the fourth is a Jaguar.

The strangest thing is. . . I swear the cars haven't moved from the spot since at least last autumn. . . the cars were in those positions before the snow fell last Winter, and I'm sure they haven't moved since.

What a tragic waste of around 2000 horsepower :roll:

I'm fascinated to know what you lot think makes a car beautiful (or not).

Do explain.

That's easy! What you need for driving around Sheffield is:

Four wheel drive. . .for getting up Sheffield's hills and driving in our harsh winters.

A big, powerful engine for. . .safer overtaking

Traction control. . .for not skidding off the road when cornering at +1g

And a Launch control system. . .for sub 4-second 0 to 60 times.

So it's either a Porcsche 911 Carrera 4S or a Nissan GTR for me.

And since I can't stand Germanese bin wagons, it has to be the Nissan :)

That's easy! What you need for driving around Sheffield is:

Four wheel drive. . .for getting up Sheffield's hills and driving in our harsh winters.

A big, powerful engine for. . .safer overtaking

Traction control. . .for not skidding off the road when cornering at +1g

And a Launch control system. . .for sub 4-second 0 to 60 times.

So it's either a Porcsche 911 Carrera 4S or a Nissan GTR for me.

And since I can't stand Germanese bin wagons, it has to be the Nissan :)

So my postmodernly ironic Fiat Multipla wouldn't do it for you?

It's beautiful to me.

Actually, what you are describing is just powerful engineering...which is not necessarily beautiful.

It's beautiful to me.

Actually, what you are describing is just powerful engineering...which is not necessarily beautiful.

The multipla is one of the ugliest cars I've ever seen.

What makes a car shape attractive or not (for me) is down to proportions and smoothness (ie no odd lumps like the multipla). An aerodynamic shape implies speed even if it isn't there, or the car is stationary. Width, ride height, height, bonnet/body/tail length, wheel position, these are all proportional things and some combinations look good, and others don't.

Of course for actually wanting to own one, there's more than just beauty to consider.

Well, Cyclone's about 4 years behind the times, as sadly, Fiat stoppped making Multiplas with bumps in 2011.

Bit of a Marmite vehicle, I guess...but I think they are a welcome antidote to all the willy-wavers' 9 million horse power machines. We had one (yes, with the bumps! Oh, how I miss it) when our kids were small. It was brilliant. Three proper seats at the front and at the back - we could go out as a family and still have room for Grandma or a friend...or separate three squabbling infants on long journeys so that nobody could poke a pencil up anyone else's nose. Now that's good design!

We don't have the squabbling infants problem any more, but I use it as my decorator's van (back seats removed and the exterior suitably embossed with my business signage) and it's fantastic - roomy, reliable, economical and quirky. Lots of people notice it and it's the only advert I need.

It's beautiful to me.

Sorry, is it the car or you that's postmodernly ironic :huh:

The Fiat Multipla is incredibly ugly. And it's made by Fiat, so reliability is, how can I put it politely. . . suspect is too strong a word. . . an ongoing concern. Yes, that's better.

I had a Fiat once, many many happy memories, but some bad ones.

With a tiny engine size of less than 1 litre, a top speed of less than 100mph, and a 0 to 60 time somewhere in the teens, defensive driving skills were a must and she is probably the reason I still have a clean license and no major accidents after all these years!

Sadly she got too old and I couldn't justify the repair bill so the little box with wheels had to go :(