Sky and lying about speeds

When I have ordered Sky broadband before 6 months ago,guys told me that it will not have any weak times,no slow down nothing =D..I thought,it is good deal for 20.40 monthly,but 3 month,I am getting every night at 22.00-23.00 very slow download/upload/high ping problems.Therefore pages wont load etc.Dont believe to Sky,order Virgin...If somebody has same problem,reply please.

Sky don't throttle / artifically slow their broadband.

If you're having connection issues ( wired or wireless ? ) only between specific times it points to an interference issue.

Do you or a neighbour have any mains powered device on a timer that activates between those times ?

If so, try turning it off for an evening and see what happens.

Faulty mains powered equipment can give out interference at the same frequencies as broadband killing most of the signal.

Sky don't throttle / artifically slow their broadband.

If you're having connection issues ( wired or wireless ? ) only between specific times it points to an interference issue.

Do you or a neighbour have any mains powered device on a timer that activates between those times ?

If so, try turning it off for an evening and see what happens.

Faulty mains powered equipment can give out interference at the same frequencies as broadband killing most of the signal.

I am connected wirelessly as well as wired.

We dont have any powered device.

Got Sky broadband about two months ago and the speed is atrocious, pages fail to load, slow download speeds, I can't even connect two devices, what speeds do other people get? I've never had a download speed higher than 110KB/s, this is all the time and not some throttling period. We've had the Sky engineer out, a new phone line, router and it's still useless.

I downloaded a PS4 game update the other day and it took three days to complete :(

I'm with Sky Fibre and get 40 down and 10 up, which is what I pay for. I hammer usenet and download in excess of 250gb/m and have no issues with speed drops or throttling.

Post removed

Edited by allysum

I currently staying at my moms house in Hillsborough and have Sky Broadband Unlimited (ADSL), she's had it about six months. Sky told us to expect speeds between 4.9 and 7 Mbit with a guarantee of 3.9 Mbit minimum. For the first 3 weeks we got around 4.5 Mbit and then it's been continuously 2.6-2.9 Mbit ever since (router in master phone socket).

I've got a whole collection of screenshots showing the routers connection speed that I tried using to prove to Sky that the connection was slow. I've actually a few private clients on the same street that I've done odd bits of repair work or system builds for and of the ones on ADSL with other companies (TalkTalk) are getting around 5.4 Mbit at peak times. Having checked other local results on speed checker sites it seems Sky ADSL comes in on average at 2.7 Mbit and competitors somewhere between 5 and 7 Mbit.

We also get two disconnections a day roughly around the same time and then a couple of random disconnections through the day. The phone line was replaced in 2008 and the connection at that time was Plusnet and was faster back then than now.

I know there's a lot of Virgin customers on here but for the last 3 years my mom's had a terrible experience with them. Everything from broken connections at weeks at a time, incorrect billing, charges for international calls that never connected, overcharging on packages and customer services passing responsibility between departments without actually ever resolving issues. Strangely when we cancelled with Virgin and we were in our 30 day notice period we lost the connection completely and it never came back. No warnings on the status website and customer services said there had been a problem in the cabinet which would take 20 days to repair. Funny how our nextdoor neighbour, also on Virgin didn't have the same issue.

There's no point in putting my mom on fibre, she only used the internet to keep in touch with me while I was working abroad.... which brings me to my next point.... the broadband in the developing country I was in was more stable, double the speed, $20 a month, unlimited and delivered over bare phone cables twisted together between the poles outside the house :)

Adamskiec,same at me.Speed slows down at specific time.Sky are lying to customers,they saying,no peak times,but they have peak time,as seems to me always..

Its the difference between what they say and what they mean.

What they say is "no slow downs" but what they mean is "no artificial slowdowns".

Any ISP can have slow downs at peak hours, but it shouldn't be so bad pages fail to load.

Post removed

Edited by allysum

I don't experience slow down at peak times, I just experience consistently slow all of the time, and the Welcome letter from Sky when my mother joined up guaranteed a minimum of 3.9Mbit/s with estimated speeds of 4.9 to 7Mbit/s. Delivered speed is around 2.7Mbit/s and disconnections happen 3-4 times a day.

Sky don't seem interested in correcting the problem and I do get a bit tin-foil-hat with the fact that my mother is not a Sky TV subscriber. She just has the phone line and broadband which makes me think Sky consider her to be a less valuable customer and don't want to waste bandwidth on more basic subscriptions.

I didn't know but she had Netflix set up for her while I was away and she hasn't been able to watch it since Sky was installed 6 months ago because of the low connection speed.

Sounds more like a fault, I also do not have TV and when I had an issue at a previous address they sorted it swiftly. I came from what is advertised as a company based on cust service (Origin Broadband) to Sky, and Sky are a million times better.

There are a lot worse out there, just keep trying their tech department, they will even prioritise you in the phone queue if you call in a few times.

Post removed

Edited by allysum