Neepsend 1960's

A couple of questions about a part of Neepsend. Was there a street called 'Bury Street' in the Platt St/ Hicks St area? I've looked on maps from the fifties but can't seem to find it, and I think that area was there till about 1965. I'm sure a few lads in my classes at Burngreave 1958-62 lived there. Albert Savoury, Ernie Blockley and Graham Dawson-(R.I.P.) and what was the 'Helen Wilson Settlement' the building on the corner of Rutland Road under the railway bridge all about?

All i kow about the Helen Wilson Settlement it was a youth club. i used to know that area well i used to go out with a very nice young [at the time] girl from that area.

All i kow about the Helen Wilson Settlement it was a youth club. i used to know that area well i used to go out with a very nice young [at the time] girl from that area.

Was once walking past there with a school pal, perhaps 1962 and a young fellow standing in the H.W.Settlement doorway said hello to him. Asking who it was he replied; "Howard Wilkinson, plays football for them had a trial with Wednesday". I suppose the rest of that is history!

---------- Post added 10-01-2015 at 21:43 ----------

Thank you for your trouble and interest. I wasn't imagining things after 54 years!

Albert, Ernie and Graham all went to Woodside Junior School, on Rutland Rd., before moving up to Burngreave Secondary.

I was lucky (unlucky?) enough to pass the 11+ and went on to a grammar school.

The Helen Wilson Settlement was used as a youth club, in the evenings, and I used to be able to get in, although I was too young, officially.

Howard Wilkinson lived somewhere in the Platt St. area - strange thing is that he went to the same school as me after the 11+.

what was the 'Helen Wilson Settlement' the building on the corner of Rutland Road under the railway bridge all about?

Someone else may want to check these facts but Helen Wilson was one of the daughters of H J Wilson, a leading radical Liberal who lived in Pitsmoor in the nineteenth and early twentieth century. There were several daughters who were active campaigners for social justice and they were involved with the "settlement" movement in the city. Settlements were pioneering supported accommodation, training and rehab centres and this one was named after Helen Wilson. i expect a lot of the money to build it came from her family.