Wheelchair users and prams on public transport, whose priority

Who should have priority on public transport?  

144 members have voted

1. 1. Who should have priority on public transport?

• Wheelchair users
    • Parents with prams
    • Not sure

Just reading an article on BBC News, and was interested in peoples opinions on the subject.

Who should have priority in occupying the wheelchair/buggy space?

First come first served they are both decrepit. One is old one is young, both in a pram of sorts. First come first served. Simple

Don't be ridiculous. The chance of actually being unable to move is miniscule.

Moving isn't a problem as long as there is somewhere else on the bus to move to, moving off the bus to let someone else on is and should never be required or enforced.

Given that it's probably never occurred, it's a moot point.

Given that you have no idea if its ever happened or ever likley to happen your point is moot. The point is that there will always be situations that mean someone not already on the bus will have to wait for the next bus.

They are both decrepit.

Because otherwise, unlike the person in a wheelchair, there's an able bodied parent with it.

Although you are using the wrong word

decrepit

dɪˈkrɛpɪt/Submit

adjective

worn out or ruined because of age or neglect.

"a row of decrepit houses"

synonyms: dilapidated, rickety, run down, broken-down, tumbledown, ramshackle, worn out, derelict, in ruins, ruined, falling apart, falling to pieces, in (a state of) disrepair, creaky, creaking, gone to rack and ruin, on its last legs; More

antonyms: sound

(of a person) elderly and infirm.

Not a baby or child by definition.

I'm sure by now everyone is blue in the face at the number of times we have had to explain this concept to you and the others of the same ilk..

It really does seem that the perfectly simple concept is failing to sink in.

No.

One.

Is.

Expecting.

A.

Mother.

And.

Child.

To

Be.

Turfed .

Off.

A.

Bus.

is that not simple enough to comprehend?

Maybe this is just a big breakdown in communication then ? I find, from experience, most arguments are just that.

What prejudice? Can you put it into words?

You already have.

Ferrari branded monster buggy

Exactly what image were you trying to convey with this description and why?

Will they be easier to fold, or equally difficult?

Depends. Again, why do you insist on describing buggies as 'monster buggies?

What about them? Will it make some sort of difference to whether you have the basic human decency to move for a disabled person, or instead you refuse?

Yes, they don't tend to fold and are a requirement for very young babies. In case you didn't know it would not be the safest thing to remove a days old baby from a carry cot to hold in your arms on a bus. If there was nowhere else to move to then I, for one, would not move. You, however, seem to think it is OK to expel a six hour old baby into the freezing cold in an area unfamiliar to the parent.

In your dreams perhaps. Or possibly if there's a tornado.

It doesn't take much wind to blow over a bag or catch hold of some of the lighter contents. Bear in mind on the day of posting we were experiencing 50-60mph gusts in Sheffield.

What if aliens beam it up? Or in other words, don't be so ridiculous.

You think thieving scrotes are ridiculous? Your naivety is almost overwhelming.

What about having it ready when they pull up...

You think a push chair and several bags of shopping somehow magically transport themselves from the pavement to the storage area? Rather several journeys would have to be made.

What about this is the fault of the disabled person who you're refusing to make space for? Your choices, you deal with them.

How is the disabled passengers disability the fault of a parent being forced into the cold and wet with a six hour old baby? How is the lack of provision of enough priority spaces the fault of the parent?

So because of this hypothetical bus driver you will punish the disabled wheelchair user by refusing to act with common decency. That'll teach the bus driver.

What about the baby you've just crippled? Sorry, the safety of my family trumps anybody else.

To flip things around (not that I expect a sensible answer to this). If I were stood in the space, and you wish to get your buggy into it. Will you be happy when I refuse to move on the grounds that I really don't feel like it? Will you be supporting my right to act like a tit? I bet not. I bet you'd be up in arms if mere pedestrians were being awkward to parents.

If you'd bothered to read the thread you would note I have only commented on shared wheelchair/buggy priority spaces. If you wish to move the discussion onto shared priority spaces for wheelchairs/pushchairs/pedestrians then make a separate post.

No, it would extend to making someone MOVE.

The suggestion for removing them from the bus was when they refuse to move.

When there is nowhere to move to the only place is off. You are therefore an advocate of expelling six hour old babies into the freezing cold and wet miles from home in an area the parent is totally unfamiliar with.

jb