Wheelchair users and prams on public transport, whose priority

Who should have priority on public transport?  

144 members have voted

1. 1. Who should have priority on public transport?

• Wheelchair users
    • Parents with prams
    • Not sure

How come this is only just happening?How did our parents go on with their children, and transport was more difficult to board in times gone bye.

Evening all,

I'm just wondering as to who gets the right away on trams and buses when it comes to the Disabled or the Parents with Prams? The feud seems to be at boiling point if you ask me, and I've only been a regular tram rider since 2007. I only pose this question because over the last few weeks specifically, tempers have flared at peak times when I've been catching the tram for my daily commute.

Now first and foremost, I'd like to state that I am infact, able-bodied (fingers crossed)- that however, doesn't stop me from wondering whether the disabled get the priority space on trams and buses, or parents with prams.

As a homosexual man, being a parent isn't something that I'm seeking, but becoming disabled is a real probability for anybody in life (especially if I carry on eating this dairy milk chocolate left over from Christmas! Hehe)

Friday for example, an elderly gentlemen with a crutch was asked to move out of the disabled seating areas on the tram, for an African lady with a rather large pram. Needless to say, he wasn't impressed and demanded to speak to the driver. This not only held my journey up for an entire 15 minutes, it also infuriated the young child, who seemed distraught at the unrest he had inadvertently caused.

In the end, the old man had to stand, ironically next to me, before somebody let him sit in their seat as a gesture of goodwill.

So who gets the priority? The driver explained to the elderly gent that Children get the priority over anybody on the tram, disabled people included. Is this fair?

I'm astounded that nobody offered the old man with a crutch a seat. It should be a given that anyone younger / fitter should stand before someone less able.

How come this is only just happening?How did our parents go on with their children, and transport was more difficult to board in times gone bye.

Back in the day parents had M'clarron type baby buggies that were tiny and could be folded in an instant, not at all the sorts of things that they have now, which are more like Reliant Robins with handles attached.

I did think the opinion poll should have had a place for no wheelchairs allowed though, because as far as I understand it, wheelchair uses get money from the government to run their own car or use taxis.

Edited by spilldig

I did think the opinion poll should have had a place for no wheelchairs allowed though, because as far as I understand it, wheelchair uses get money from the government to run their own car or use taxis.

I think older people find that money harder to get, I think pensioners are treated differently.

Besides, I don't think equality means treating everyone the same. To me, it means providing everyone with equal experiences as far as we are able. In this case, it would be ensuring that a wheelchair user would be able to ride any bus that is not full (or as far as is practical, e.g. if there is already a wheelchair user on the bus then unfortunately it is not practical for them to be able to ride).

The term you are referring to is not equality. Equality is making people equal. Period. No wheelchair spaces, no special treatment. Wheelchair users have privilege of priority in wheelchair spaces.

The term you are looking for is called decency.