High Bradfield & Low Bradfield

I can remember the winter that brought all the power lines down and the snow was so heavy we had to walk on the top of walls. It was also the first time I had seen the Northern Lights dancing around the sky. It was such a fascinating thing to have seen. We could'nt go to school because the power lines were on the floor across the way out from the farm. I never did like the winters.

I also went to Low Bradfield School from 1958 untill we moved to Loxley in 1962 and my fondest memory of my school days at Bradfield was getting the slipper off Fanny Wilkes!

I also attended Bradfield and mimed in the school choir in the Tenor section along with a certain Keith Goodison (better than lessons!)

The junior school closed many years ago with chidren now shipped to Dungworth due to lack of local pupils.

The site is now being converted to a coffee/craft shop but seems to have ground to a halt.

Mrs Wilkes was my head as well. I really liked her. The thing I hated most was the milk we had to drink, I cringe as I remember. It was horrible. And the puddings that had rhubarb or prunes in and the semolina puddings. Uggg!!

Hi Brenda (alias Draggonlady 5)

At the risk of putting Friends Reunited out of business, I thought i'd say a bit of an hello.

Don't get me started on Bradfield School otherwise we'll be here all day!

All the best JE

Hi Jumpingjonny,

Got your message. What about the school, what was wrong with it? I loved my school days, wish I could turn back time.

Brewery, what brewery, can't say I have ever seen that.

Where is it.

Regards the Bradfield Brewery.

If you are coming from Sheffield up Loxley Rd. When you get to the start of Bradfield Reservoir continue straight forward toward High Bradfield the brewery is about 200 yards before entering High Bradfield Village,on the left hand side of the road.

Bradfield is lovely. The place holds many special memories for me. Happy days!

Cycleracer

The best directions to get to the brewery as I can remember are:-

Leaving the Horns Pub at High Bradfield proceed towards Sheffield on the top road.

The brewery is on a farm to the right of this road down a private lane. You can see the farm clearly and a great new barn type building which ids in fact the brewery.

It is nearly opposite the cottages next to the old Castle Hill.

There are no signs indicating a brewery but be assured it is there and the different brews they produce are excellent.

They have only been brewing for around a year but it is quality stuff.

Funnily enough the last time I was in Sheffield you could buy it at the Riverside pub on Harvest Lane in Sheffield but not in Bradfield itself.

There is a website for the Bradfield Brewery if you want to look it up.

Good Supping, wish I could join you.

Happy Days

I once lived at bradfield for a short time' a place called thornseat lodge. Sadly the place is now in disrepair but i feel lucky to have lived in such a beautiful place. The views from the lodge were really good especially when it snowed. Then there was bradfield village' everyone seemed to gather in the local pub and sing along to folk music' even the village bobby' great times.

Hello all.

Who owns Thornseat lodge and wilkin hill cottage now? What a state they are in!!! I live in Lincoln but my heartland is Bradfield. Ive been going there since I was five. we used to stay in wilkin hill cottage for many years but still visit regularly. I spoke with the famers at woodseats farm and they say that a contractor owns them. These Buildings must be protected?

Bye for now

Jay

Hi Jay, do a search "Strines Road Murders" there is some info that may intrest you.

I recall seeing on the path to St Nicholas Church there is a gravestone with the inscription `sacred to the memory of ... (can`t remember the name) who died`

There is no more so it`s intriguing to wonder why the inscription is incomplete

I certainly hope everyone buried there died!

Hi Jay, do a search "Strines Road Murders" there is some info that may intrest you.

Hello "only me"

Yes that is interesting, local gossip seems to favour the named owners. not sure where to go from here but I think if i draw attention to the problem at Sheffield city hall it may rattle a few cages and get these properties sorted out.

Thanks for the prompt, But why do these lovely properties attract such morbid tales?

TTFN

Jay