Newfield School

Nothing strange about it at all, as far as I can see, Mr Bloom. Quite a common situation I would say, from my own past experience as the parent of a child making such a move in that very same catchment area

A parent who has a child at either Meersbrook Bank, Carfield, or Mundella, and who knows other parents who have children at those primary schools (and so knows they are ok), and is concerned about the next stage in their child’s education, ie the move to Secondary School. They know little about Newfield apart from ”terrible things” they have heard and quite rightly want to get a more accurate picture.

They hear that Sheffield Forum is the fount of all knowledge and so they join and make a first post to get a broader opinion. And what do they get? They get you, Mr Bloom.

Wow. Thank you for filling the dots in there. You obviously know the OP and his/her reasons for posting very well. Well, my suspicions that the OP might have an agenda, a grudge against the school, is ignorant of the facts, or is just a plain and simple troll, have now been totally quashed. Thank you.

---------- Post added 30-07-2014 at 23:11 ----------

I'm not tarring them - Ofsted are. The school has received consistently terrible inspection reports over and over again and the GCSE results are low. This seems odd considering the good results from feeder schools such as Meersbrook Bank, Carfield and Mundella. What other primary schools feed into it?

With respect to 'results', are you comparing in-house teacher based grades with external assessments?

Edited by Mr Bloom

Thanks Horribleblob, that's exactly the situation I'm in. I also have more direct experience of those primary schools I mentioned so I know the children's levels of attainment and behaviour really rather well.

Mr Bloom - what an odd reaction. Are you a conspiracy theorist? As for comparing teacher assessment with external examination: are you referring to primary results versus secondary? Sats results in Year 6 are for the most part externally assessed (although the writing element has been moved in-house it is still heavily moderated). Even if they weren't that situation holds for all primary schools so you'd expect a more consistent picture to develop.

The issue I have is that primary schools in other areas with similar results (such as many of those in the west of the city) feed into secondaries which achieve far higher results at GCSE and A level, whereas at Newfield achievement drops off massively. I don't know what makes that observation sinister.

Thanks Horribleblob, that's exactly the situation I'm in. I also have more direct experience of those primary schools I mentioned so I know the children's levels of attainment and behaviour really rather well.

What is this 'more direct experience' that you have had with all the three schools you mentioned? Why not just say?

Mr Bloom - what an odd reaction.

No, not really, just an experienced one, not wholly dissimilar to many other responses to be found on any forum.

Are you a conspiracy theorist? .

Is that meant to be an insult?

If you mean do I accept everything that is posted on the internet on face value, no, I do not.

The issue I have is that primary schools in other areas with similar results (such as many of those in the west of the city) feed into secondaries which achieve far higher results at GCSE and A level, whereas at Newfield achievement drops off massively. I don't know what makes that observation sinister.

I'm glad you used the word sinister, as that is exactly what your opening post was, implying that the wonderful Carfield, Meersbrook Bank and Mundella children suddenly change in to monsters in terms of their behaviour and start underachieving massively when they go up to the terrible Newfield. Have you actually spoken to parents of high achieving, mature, polite students who attend Newfield? Or the students themselves?

I'd still like you to expand on these 'terrible things' you've heard about Newfield.