Fire at Neepsend

Didn't notice anything in Hillsborough, so the wind must have been kind to us. Pretty disastrous if it was indeed 6000 litre of kerosine.

Hillsborough is upstream.

You can smell the parrafin-like smell at Ladys Bridge. Environment Agency got sandbags and pumping gear just up from Harlequin.

EA and Fire Service done a great job in difficult circumstances, without their response it would have been even more disastrous, as it is it seem like just what got down the drains that is in the don, much of it mopped up and gathered up at foot of the hill.

Took some photos but am on works PC at minute as my house now has a power cut

Some photos from today, headed up from Blonk Street to Frogsons, then later on cycled down the river to Tinsley, the paraffin smell was really strong again near Weedon Street just before Meadowhall.

It hadn't spread as far as the junction with the canal

---------- Post added 19-07-2014 at 21:37 ----------

Here's a thing...

Remember the big Attercliffe Waste Management Company fire? That was July 14th 2013. Seems like mid-July isn't a great month for Sheffield Waste Management

Edited by Squiggs

There were certainly fish struggling around Ladys Bridge / Blonk Street this morning...such a shame to see the river struggling, I've enjoyed seeing the benefits of a clean, vibrant, populous River Don with fish, ducks, geese, heron and more than one kingfisher.

Regardless of the actual cause, there are a lot of questions to answer :rant:

I'm not sure on these things, perhaps the heavy rain was fortuitous, dispersing the oils a little more than if the river was at low level?

At least the river still looked clean further up, I cycled up to Hillsborough via Club Mill Road.

I agree squiggs there must be answers. It does sound as though the environment agency&the other services were on the ball. I have spent many hours fishing the Don from Attercliffe right the way through tto Oughtibridge&the river is full of fish&the wildlife that feeds from the clean river is a great sight when you consider that not too many years ago it was like an open sewer unable to sustain any fish.