Who's your favourite Sheffield Street Urchin Celebrity?

zingo

My favourite Sheffield tramp was a bearded, fairly well spoken man in his forties who hung aroung Pond Street a few years ago. He once approached me and said "Look, I'm not going to give you any crap about losing my bus fare or wanting to buy a sandwich. I'm living on the streets and I'm trying to get a few quid to buy a bottle and get off my head." I couldn't fail to be won over by that pitch.

Whats with the West St Tesco tramps, have they all been to the same finishing school? I had three come up to me seperately last night and say words like, "Excuse me, I'm hope I don't alarm you... sorry to be so cheeky...I'm looking for your help..." They are by far the most pleasant, eloquent and well mannered people on West st. at that time of night!

My favourite moment was the guy outside the Old Peace Gardens (perfect for a drop of turps or meths) who asked me for 17p. :confused: I said words to the effect of "That's a bit specific! Why?" and he said "If you do I can afford 3 cans of Special Brew then." pointing at Gateway (As Somerfield was then). "But would you get them for me as I'm barred ...." :hihi: Those were the days in the early 90's ..... cans sold singly, the Willis supermarket on Crookes for really cheap cans (they were the student days) .... addicts in the nasty bridge thing going to the bus station from the gallery with the Lo-Cost on it .....

• 1 month later...

I'd forgotten about the bridge. I felt really sorry for a derelict I once saw who slipped on it's steps in the rain and gave the back of his head a right crack. There was blood coming out of a wound and I helped him sit up and tried to get him to wait for an ambulance but he stomped off waving me away.

i went in poundland on the moor last thursday , and was surprised nay taken aback to see Elvis Presley talking to an accident claimes rep !

he told her she wouldn't believe him if he told her his name , and he said ask him he knows me, he had a pal with him who looked like Trigger out of Citizen Smith. Elvis was about 18 stone , had on big dark glasses and had massive side burns, although he did look a bit young for The King, i'd say he was about 45, but he honestly was saying he was Elvis !! it was so funny , it made my day. Did anyone else see him?

Anyone remember the guy from Notts with a blonde mullet? It was always 'I've just got out of nick, and this guy give me an address for this bloke who'd give me a job but it's turned out to be bulls*** and if I don't get back to Notts in 2 hours I'll be breakin my parole, etc...'? He was around for ages, and then he made the front page of the Star cos so many people had complained about him.

My fave used to be 'Walking Man', named after the statue, who had a baseball cap, long straggly black hair and a big black beard. He was a right state, but never bothered anyone - he just walked, looking on the floor for bits n bobs along the way. I know a couple of stories about him, but not for here...

I remember the mullet man. Accosted me twice in a fortnight with the same story. The second time i made the mistake of mentioning this fact to him and he went, what can only be described as f*$king mental. This happened to my brother on another occasion. If he ever comes back to town, avoid him.

Anyone remember the guy from Notts with a blonde mullet? It was always 'I've just got out of nick, and this guy give me an address for this bloke who'd give me a job but it's turned out to be bulls*** and if I don't get back to Notts in 2 hours I'll be breakin my parole, etc...'? He was around for ages, and then he made the front page of the Star cos so many people had complained about him.

My fave used to be 'Walking Man', named after the statue, who had a baseball cap, long straggly black hair and a big black beard. He was a right state, but never bothered anyone - he just walked, looking on the floor for bits n bobs along the way. I know a couple of stories about him, but not for here...

Blimey, I remember him. He was the very essence of trampiness. In fact, he was almost trying to hard, like he was on his way to a fancy dress party and had chosen 'vagabond' as his theme.

Havent seen him for ages. He is still alive?

Also, what happened to that little lad who always crying? He couldnt have been more than about 14 when he first started working the streets.

i went in poundland on the moor last thursday , and was surprised nay taken aback to see Elvis Presley talking to an accident claimes rep !

he told her she wouldn't believe him if he told her his name , and he said ask him he knows me, he had a pal with him who looked like Trigger out of Citizen Smith. Elvis was about 18 stone , had on big dark glasses and had massive side burns, although he did look a bit young for The King, i'd say he was about 45, but he honestly was saying he was Elvis !! it was so funny , it made my day. Did anyone else see him?

Funny you should say that because....

A couple of years ago my housemate burst into our living room in a state of excitment saying he had just seen Elvis Presley singing at the bottom of the moor at 7am.

About six months later I saw another Elvis get off the 82 bus (near the Moorfoot Tavern) humming jailhouse rock.

Maybe the spirit of Elvis does indeed haunt Sheffield's bargain basement area.

I have seen Elvis a lot recently. Firstly near Weston Park, where he started to talk to us about Rooney. Secondly, near the university tram stop. Thirdly in the centre of town. And lastly, last week in bar one (the Sheffield Union bar) watching the football where he seemed to remember our previous conversation about Rooney and started tlaking about him to us again. Each time made my day.

Blimey, I remember him. He was the very essence of trampiness. In fact, he was almost trying to hard, like he was on his way to a fancy dress party and had chosen 'vagabond' as his theme.

walking man!

yes those trousers he had that were just in rags were amazing, you could surely only do that on purpose, i mean, if your trousers were that bad, i bet any charity shop would give you a pair! most people would if you asked i reckon! maybe that beard is some kind of oxfam gift voucher?

I never did see him bother anyone either, just walk, as you say.

i see town in the early morning occasionally and so i see which ones of the dev-green/west street gang really are sleeping there, and there isn't the big gang of them there are on these sunny days, thats for sure. maybe 3,

with this new gathering at west st tesco i think we need to extend our language, do we have any suggestions on collective nouns for tramps?

a gaggle of tramps perhaps?

Archived