Pubs of Sheffield

Seem to remember that Labour said last week they were going to have a bash at pubcos with a view to reducing rents and making it more attractive to landlords if they won next year's election. Sadly, I can't see that reducing the price of alcohol which is possibly the bigger problem as far as consumers are concerned. They'll just go out less and get even more ratted when they do.

I have been in the position of owning a lease through punch and we made a success of it but the more we did the more we were hammered by punch far from supporting us and trying to keep the momentum going all they did was hike our rent and beer targets till we had no option but to leave.It ended up costing me 70k and im still trying to recover 7yrs on.The goverment are to blame for creating pubcos if the had left the breweries alone it would be a whole different picture now.

Hello, Colt & Medusa. Yes I actually have. I'm the one managed to find a way into the Burgoyne and take those photos (the owners contacted me and they really don't like it, but I managed to sort things out with them) keep it quiet :) I made that post on 28dl, and peakexpat I fully agree with you, your completely right about Weatherspoon's. But I believe in the traditional boozer (I'm not a huge fan of Weatherspoon's) and I feel that these 2 Wednesday pubs would be a great place for us. I want people to experience the same as I did when I was younger, they truly were a great place for the kids back when Tony & Lindsey ran them. If i ran these pubs I would not be bothered about profit, as long as I have enough to keep the places open I would be really happy. Thank you for your response!

---------- Post added 08-06-2014 at 02:27 ----------

I am confident I would be able to bring them back to life if I had the chance I need. I hope you can understand how I feel, as these pubs are the things that got me into DJing, a hobby of mine, after seeing the equipment they used to have, I remember the Burgoyne having a stand with Numark CD players and mixers, mirror balls on the ceiling and the wall mounted loudspeakers. After seeing the Burgoyne in this bad of a state earlier on this year it made me realise that if I do not do anything they may not be here for much longer. If I owned them I would make them successful at any cost and definitely try my best to lower the prices of drinks, even after tax I think it is stupid how the pubs are charging up to £2 for a coke now. Cheers :)

---------- Post added 08-06-2014 at 02:42 ----------

Oh and *_ash_* when did the Masons near Penistone Road close? I never knew it had. Thanks.

While you might be prepared to run at break even, you still need to plan financially. Do you have any idea how much would it cost to buy and fit out these pubs? How do you intend to fund this? In the long term you need to have a business plan that allows you to run a day to day surplus to pay off the loans you take out and invest in improvements.

Sorry to boil this down to business, I admire your passion but ideals always cost money.

The goverment are to blame for creating pubcos if the had left the breweries alone it would be a whole different picture now.

Perhaps, but they didn't want people getting drunk and being antisocial and they bought the health industry, think tanks and scientists on board to help them justify their plan of action ... and people fell for it hook, line and sinker

Hello, yes I am willing to run at just breaking even if required, I am planning to hopefully be able to create a good business plan and hopefully get a loan from the bank in time. Also if the pub business were to flop I would at least still have the properties and a place to live, and you never know with the size of the Burgoyne it is possible to be more than just a pub, could be a pub/restaurant.

Maz3 I think it would be a good idea focusing on one first, the least damaged would be the Cuthbert as people have lived in the upstairs since its closure. The Burgoyne inside is a wreck, even the cellar. There is a hole in the roof where rain comes through and in the 20+ times I have been in it has gotten worse every time. Though every time I went somebody had clearly been inside too and caused more vandalism.

Mecky it would be great if they were to do that, also I have heard something about reducing the cost of a pint by 60p.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/news/article-2651618/New-rules-cut-cost-pint-60p-say-backers-critics-fear-500-pubs-close.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

Smiggs, yes I have a good idea of the costs for the Burgoyne at least, after speaking on the phone to the owners for 5 minutes they reduced their asking price from £150,000 to £80,000. Inside I would estimate around £100,000 total to fix as it needs new everything, and that's not counting the furniture. Yeah it would be a long road but it would be worth it in the end.

Cheers for replies everyone :)

Edited by JDanielM

I don't know the history of this, how did the government create PubCo's? And how did it require people to 'fall for it' in order to happen?

You can read up on it over the Internet if you're that interested

Hello, yes I am willing to run at just breaking even if required, I am planning to hopefully be able to create a good business plan and hopefully get a loan from the bank in time. Also if the pub business were to flop I would at least still have the properties and a place to live, and you never know with the size of the Burgoyne it is possible to be more than just a pub, could be a pub/restaurant.

How will you be separating the business and personal then?

Will the pub be a personally owned property (hence still having it if the business goes bust)? Could you cover the mortgage somehow if that happened?

Smiggs, yes I have a good idea of the costs for the Burgoyne at least, after speaking on the phone to the owners for 5 minutes they reduced their asking price from £150,000 to £80,000. Inside I would estimate around £100,000 total to fix as it needs new everything, and that's not counting the furniture. Yeah it would be a long road but it would be worth it in the end.

Cheers for replies everyone :)

Surprisingly cheap for a large property. Even if it does need 100k of work inside.