Post-flood (2007) insurance Hillsborough

I am looking for information to help me find a new home insurance provider. My terraced house in Hillsborough was flooded in 2007, I claimed on the insurance but noticed consequently that the insurance company had categorised the claim as 'storm damage'. I have stayed with the same company since but my premium continues to be very high (£600 quote for renewal this year). I want to investigate other insurers but I have been told I need to provide information on what measures have been put in place to ensure the River Don won't flood again - does anyone know what's been done?

Any information on similar experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

There has been a lot done. Some dredging, some tree and bank-side and vegetation removal, reinstatement of some flood walls, strengthening and raising of other flood walls, the installation of a pocket park flood protection area, e.t.c. Your best bet would probably be to request information from both the environment agency and the council.

Thanks for that. Yes, I have emailed the council and environment agency but they are committed to replying within 20 days and I need to know asap. Thanks again.

Where I live, the cellar flooded but nothing actually got into the house. However, I hadn't bought the house at this time, I only bought last year.

The first year that I got insurance, I was quoted silly money so I decided to opt out of covering for flood damaged based on the fact that it would only cost £300 to pump the cellar out should it happen again - the likelihood being pretty low in my mind.

This year, I decided to have another go and managed to get insured with flood cover and paid under £200 with Budget Insurance through Compare the Market. I answered all questions completely honestly.

Our house was flooded - insurance now is around £34 a month with More Than

The don river has been properly repaired and restored since that flood. Now the speed and capacity is far superior to what it was in those days and levels don't come nowhere near as high as they used to prior 2007 flood.

In other words the actual flooding risks are lower now than they were ten years ago.

If the same rains would happen today like they did in 2007 it would be nowhere near as bad and possibly even ok with double capacity of don river.

Thanks for responses, it's much appreciated and reassuring to know that others are getting reasonably priced insurance. Now, just need to get through to insurance broker...

Hi,

I was flooded too in 2007, i live right next to the river don in hillsborough, the insurance for the first 5 years after the flood was horrendous but now it's fallen back to normal, i think after 5 years the flood doesnt count!

Im currently with Churchill and i pay £33 a month and its covers building and contents and my water excess is £250. i dont think you'll be able to avoid the excess on water damage im afraid... but good luck :-)

I remember reading an article in the Burngreave Messenger (free local mag) that the businesses along the Wicker/Spital Hill had agreed an increase in their business rates to help pay for flood mitigation and Don improvement works. Perhaps see if you can check with them as to if they have the information regarding exactly what that is.

If you check the current Google Streetview (perhaps take a screengrab and send it to them) of Nursery Street, the pictures there were taken when the council was doing the improvement works and shows them building the improved soak-away area in case the Don ever breaches it's banks in the future. I think there's now a big metal board stating what the improvements are now (at least I remember a board being there whilst they were working on it) It might be an idea to go down and check/take a picture to prove that the council have taken ownership of the issue going forward.

Lastly, I found a report that has a few pictures of the before and after of the dredging of the Don. Although the report is primarily Fisheries related (at least that's an independant body for you, that can't be argued that they've comissioned the report for any gain from you, and this information is readily available in the public domain) it does show the general improvements to the Don since 2007.

http://www.ifm.org.uk/sites/default/files/page/4.%20N%20Angelopoulos%20Flood%20risk%20management.pdf

I think pages 4, 6, 8, 10, 11, 12 and 13 are possibly your best ammunition of evidence for you from that report.

Hope this helps some.

So, I've come to renew my insurance this year and it's shot right up. I'm happy to insure without flood cover as the flooding to my property was very minor.

Anyone got any tips or managed to get reasonable insurance in the affected Hillsborough area?

Anybody living in the flood area still need to advise insurers that they live in a flood area even if they did not claim in 2007 as this is a material fact. If since 2007 you have moved insurers and have not told them that you are in a flood area you need to check with them, you may find that flood cover is excluded.

As with any property, insurers base their underwriting decisions on the material facts provided, with there being such a recent history of floods both on a local and national level, issues regarding the proximity to any water course irrespective of it’s size are always going to be a major consideration

Whether the property has actually sustained damage or not.