Backfields Elephants!

Hi

I recall reading in the star last year sometime about a circus that performed near the city hall around a hundred years ago & the performing elephants, around 7 or 8, lined up down the narrow alley that is Backfields off Division St & the back of Cambridge St.

Does anyone have a photo of this as it would look very surreal & as i'm a resident, i'd love to see.

Thanks

Rom

Would love to see a pic of the elephants all lined up, i'd blow it up & have it ont wall :-)

Hi

I recall reading in the star last year sometime about a circus that performed near the city hall around a hundred years ago & the performing elephants, around 7 or 8, lined up down the narrow alley that is Backfields off Division St & the back of Cambridge St.

Does anyone have a photo of this as it would look very surreal & as i'm a resident, i'd love to see.

Thanks

Rom

They were performing at the now demolished Albert Hall. It stood where John Lewis now sits. There are no photos of them as far as I know but it was a normal thing to have animals performing at theatre's, one event at the Empire on Charles St, a Tiger escaped into the cellars and wasn't captured for an hour or so, during this time a performer was mauled and lost his arm, the Tiger should not have been used as it wasn't fully trained.

Edited by lazarus