Has Rotherham MBC suddenly employed a Sheffield Traffic Planner

Driving along Centernery Way between St Anns roundabout and the New Wortley Rd roundabout, (adjacent to the new Tesco). What used to be a straighforward dual carrigeway is now home to additional sets of traffic lights, and the removal of an overpass (replaced with a traffic controlled junction).

My concern is what a fiasco this section of road is now going to be, once the new Tesco actually opens. I can envisage both Pargate and Fitzwilliam reaching gridlock because of this. Why couldnt the dual carrigway remain as unrestricted, without all of the signalisation, what is wrong with traffic planners (surely their job is keep traffic flowing, and not just to snarl everything up like this).

I expected something like this from Sheffield CC, like the hair-brain schemes at Woodseats, and the inner Ring Road, but Rotherham now seem to be slowly catching up (bus gate at Herringthorpe roundabout), from what was a town where there was such a noticable difference in smooth traffic flow, we now seem to be following Sheffield lead on how to actively discourage car users.

Driving along Centernery Way between St Anns roundabout and the New Wortley Rd roundabout, (adjacent to the new Tesco). What used to be a straighforward dual carrigeway is now home to additional sets of traffic lights, and the removal of an overpass (replaced with a traffic controlled junction).

My concern is what a fiasco this section of road is now going to be, once the new Tesco actually opens. I can envisage both Pargate and Fitzwilliam reaching gridlock because of this. Why couldnt the dual carrigway remain as unrestricted, without all of the signalisation, what is wrong with traffic planners (surely their job is keep traffic flowing, and not just to snarl everything up like this).

I expected something like this from Sheffield CC, like the hair-brain schemes at Woodseats, and the inner Ring Road, but Rotherham now seem to be slowly catching up (bus gate at Herringthorpe roundabout), from what was a town where there was such a noticable difference in smooth traffic flow, we now seem to be following Sheffield lead on how to actively discourage car users.

One name springs to mind, councilor ****** *****, he made a complete balls up at Bramley with the one way system there. The Rotherham Advertiser used to be rife with complaints about him from the residents of Bramley about how it was no good, but it was like water off a ducks back, he was right and that was the end of the matter. It was later discovered that the one way system was actually running in the wrong direction to what was planned but he refused for it to be rectified.

Edited by therascal

What would you have done instead of traffic signals?

One name springs to mind, councilor ****** *****, he made a complete balls up at Bramley with the one way system there. The Rotherham Advertiser used to be rife with complaints about him from the residents of Bramley about how it was no good, but it was like water off a ducks back, he was right and that was the end of the matter. It was later discovered that the one way system was actually running in the wrong direction to what was planned but he refused for it to be rectified.

I second that , As a Bramley resident the designer of the one way system should be put in stocks outside the shops there :hihi:

What would you have done instead of traffic signals?

No need for signals at the new junction, if the over bridge had been kept in situ for right turners, and the most pointless signals outside the Trades club, just restricts traffic flow.

A road which carried traffic so efficiently, now reduced to a crawl at times, with pointless signaling.

Mr tesco allways get what he wants !,

I agree with your comment - likes to get his own way

I second that , As a Bramley resident the designer of the one way system should be put in stocks outside the shops there :hihi:
No he should be put against a wall and shot just like he famously once quoted of another councillor.I have put a few letters in the Advertiser stating that I f i have an accident which is found to be caused by this design that if i survive i will hold him directly responsible and sue him.

No need for signals at the new junction, if the over bridge had been kept in situ for right turners, and the most pointless signals outside the Trades club, just restricts traffic flow.

A road which carried traffic so efficiently, now reduced to a crawl at times, with pointless signaling.

So you think sending all Tesco traffic east to St Anne's roundabout was the way forward?

There were traffic lights there before the bridge was removed, to allow traffic to enter the dual carriageway from the bridge!

There were traffic lights there before the bridge was removed, to allow traffic to enter the dual carriageway from the bridge!

Yes there are now 2 sets going eastward, one for the right turners (new junction) and a replacement of the origional signals where the bridge was, to allow access from Kenneth St. So why dismantle the bridge ? (and just keep one set of signals)

Why do planners insist that the best way forward is to slow/stop traffic (so called traffic mangement )what about pollution, cost of fuel etc

Yes there are now 2 sets going eastward, one for the right turners (new junction) and a replacement of the origional signals where the bridge was, to allow access from Kenneth St. So why dismantle the bridge ? (and just keep one set of signals) Why do planners insist that the best way forward is to slow/stop traffic (so called traffic mangement )what about pollution, cost of fuel etc

look, dont mention EU emissions and polution to planners, it gets in the way of a good scheme to sort traffic out....sorry hold traffic up