The Ski Village

A similar tale to Jess Ennis at Don Valley Stadium. Another venue to fail in Sheffield.

Wasn't the ski village a private business?

Wasn't the ski village a private business?

Has anyone claimed it wasn't?

I'm sure the NHS will be quite glad to see it closed if you look at the catalogue of injuries suffered by the various athletes who claim to have started off there before progressing to the Winter Olympics. And they're the ones who are supposed to be good at it...

You mopey old git.

Sort your head out.. Wonder how much you've cost the NHS with depression.

---------- Post added 13-02-2014 at 16:04 ----------

It is a crying shame this never got going.

I guess two sides to every story but it does sound like SCC were the main obstacle here.

But perhaps the site should have been sold to a larger corporate concern than a dodgy local builder .

We now have to drive to Manchester to go on their tiny overcrowded indoor slope. Which cost a reputed £ 31 million to build...

Why not goto Castleford Xscape? It's closer only just but much quicker to get to!

Skiing is a bit elitist for Sheffield. I think darts, football and snooker is the best that will survive here. There was a time when Yorkshire played county cricket in Sheffield. I suspect that the chances of them returning evapourated along with the Don Valley stadium.

Exactly, it's just another example of how short sighted Sheffield City Council are, can you imagine the revenue it would have brought to the city through hotels and retail.

Xscape is growing year on year, I agree it must be making some really good money. Two years running they have added a new attraction. People travel for miles to go to xscape, and many of those continue to do so despite complaining the runs too small. The simple reason for this is there's nowhere else to go (the other indoor snow slopes all have fairly small runs). The Sheffield plan was much better and could have really been something special. Shame it didn't happen, but it just leaves Sheffield behind the curve yet again. On the plus side, we do get a new cinema... an attraction which has been declining for years :rolleyes:

Xscape is growing year on year, I agree it must be making some really good money. Two years running they have added a new attraction. People travel for miles to go to xscape, and many of those continue to do so despite complaining the runs too small. The simple reason for this is there's nowhere else to go (the other indoor snow slopes all have fairly small runs). The Sheffield plan was much better and could have really been something special. Shame it didn't happen, but it just leaves Sheffield behind the curve yet again. On the plus side, we do get a new cinema... an attraction which has been declining for years :rolleyes:

It would have been great (Xscape) on the proposed Ikea site too, connections to the M1, Meadowhall, Cineworld/Centertainment. Wishful thinking.

I'm another one who is a bit curious as to why people think SCC should fund a failed private business ? We haven't had an answer yet from those who are critical of the council.

Surely the people responsible for it closing are the yobs who burnt it down and stole the electric motors.

I'm another one who is a bit curious as to why people think SCC should fund a failed private business ? We haven't had an answer yet from those who are critical of the council.

I think you've mis-understood.

I think you've mis-understood.

I don't believe we have as I see it they wanted to build a bigger slope but wanted to put housing in with the plan which SCC turned down, the money to build this slope was contingent on gaining housing as well so I see it as ski village wasn't viable otherwise the backers would have built a Bigger slope.

Beeley wood is nowhere near the ski village so you have to wonder what they thought would be the attraction.

Or maybe they would have got permission built the houses and then magically couldn't find the slope leaving them with some houses to sell to make profit

Why not goto Castleford Xscape? It's closer only just but much quicker to get to!

There's also a good dry slope in Halifax which is the place where some of the olympians trained.

You mopey old git.

Sort your head out.. Wonder how much you've cost the NHS with depression.

Cheers then. :love::love:

Actually nothing. Same amount as I've cost them with sporting injuries.