Air quality in the Don Valley (the Hillsborough end that is ! )

Most people know that there`s a problem with poor air quality in the Don Valley in the east end of Sheffield but does anyone know if there`s any truth in the tale I was told by an ex neighbour of ours about the poor air quality in the Don Valley through Hillsborough ? He had breathing problems and he told me his consultant said it was made worse by the poor air quality down in the bottom of the valley around Hillsborough. Apparently he advised him to move, "preferably to higher ground where the air quality was better". What I don`t understand is that the prevailing winds in England are from the west or south west (hence the reason the more affluent areas of most cities tend to be the western suburbs) so wouldn`t that mean Hillsborough had relatively clean air ?

There are plenty of factories, roads & stuff in Hillsborough & the air is worse in the bottom of a valley.

It's probably the smelly air drifting from the football ground. :hihi:

Regards

Doom

I would have thought air quality all along Penistone Road into town would be pretty poor.

---------- Post added 10-02-2014 at 23:21 ----------

It's probably the smelly air drifting from the football ground. :hihi:

Regards

Doom

Yes, when the winds from there south the odour from Bramall Lane is often carried several miles north.

I used to live in Tinsley and suffered with asthma from the age of 3, using an inhaler daily. I then moved to Hillsborough and instantly stopped using the inhaler, maybe about once every 6 months, I then moved into the town centre and use it about once a week.

Hillsborough is West Sheffield. The west side of cities always has the best air as the prevaling winds in this country are from the west.

The air from Hillsborough comes directly from Howden and Bradield. Along with Crosspool and Dore to the south of it, it probably has the cleanest air in the city.

Hillsborough is West Sheffield. The west side of cities always has the best air as the prevaling winds in this country are from the west.

The air from Hillsborough comes directly from Howden and Bradield. Along with Crosspool and Dore to the south of it, it probably has the cleanest air in the city.

Is that also the case in the valleys ? What about when the wind isn`t blowing ? Also the wind doesn`t always blow from the west does it ? I`m not trying to argue that Hillsborough has got poor air quality (in the valley) I`m just trying to make sense of the alleged advice given to a neighbour with breathing difficulties by his consultant.