Botanical garden birdhouse

Does anyone remember the bird house and the aquarium at the botanical gardens? I used to love going to look at the parrots there when I was younger

I have looked on google and cannot find anything much about them anywhere. It would be so nice to find a photo or two to show hubby, who has only been in Sheffield since 1990.

And what about the old Ladies loos? Were they not magnificent, tucked behind the hot house.!!

Many people raise a cynical eyebrow at me when I talk about the parrots being "loose" on the perches inside the doorway for you to pet from time too time...... just want to prove it to them....

I can confirm that the parrots were on perches by the door.

The paxton-designed glasshouses are still there, but renovated back to their original glory. the first one (right hand side as you are stood in front) housed the aquarium. I remember the piranha there.

the middle glasshouse held the birds, which I believe had to be destroyed because of a disease spreading rapidly through the birds.

the third (end ) glasshouse on the left was used for exhibitions of art.

the renovations have drastically improved the condition of the buildings which were getting very dilapidated. the two walkways between the glasshouses has been restored back so all three now interconnect as per the original layout.

They are still lovely.

think theres something about it on the bygone sheffield film.

Hi glenys - I well remember the aquarium (which as PT wrote had a mean-looking piranha) and the parrots and talking mynah bird in the aviary. Among them were two macaws (Mac and Charlie). Mac could usually be found near the door on an open perch, which was taken outside in summer. Here is a link to a photo of him on the picturesheffield.com site. Charlie could be a bit feisty and was usually kept inside, doing bird....;)

Edited by hillsbro

As I remember,the chap who looked after the Birds was called Ron Johnson,he was a friend of my Dads. He used to live on Shiregreen and was a keen Budgie breeder.

Yes - it looked like this..:P

That's the fella!

I heard the birdhouse closed after the macaws were stolen and the guy who looked after them was too heartbroken to carry on :(

I'd forgotten all about the birds and the aquarium, it must be nearly 35 years since I went round the Botanical Gardens. It was a regular day out during school holidays with my mum and a favourite haunt of my junior school when anything involving trees or plants was on the cards. Happy days.

Is the 'bear pit' still there ?

I remember the macaws they used to steal your buttons if you were not careful and the minor bird was taught how to swear so was taken away. I also heard they were stolen. I used to take my kids there, they loved it and were very sad when it closed.

I lived at Hunter's Bar as a child and have many happy memories of Botanical Gardens. As a family we used to go swimming at King Ted's every Sunday morning then walk home through the gardens. I remember feeding the macaws sunflower seeds. I also remember the piranha! If you put your hand up to the glass he used to go mad trying to eat your hand! If I remember right (and it was the same fish) the piranha started off quite small but by the time they came to close the aquarium he was huge!