MP's in parliament embarrassing

Where you have 630 people sat in one place , coming from different backgrounds and, with different aspirations, different views etc., do you not think that you will inevitably get some nods and here here's , as well as some jeer's .

Just look at the differences of opinion on this thread.

I think the " Speaker " of the commons doe's an excellent job in maintaining job.

Most , if not all , of the work is done in the committee's . The House of Commons is merely a " Forum" , just like this is .

I'm very much of the opinion that more of the work ought to be done in the House of Commons, and that MP's should be given more power to do this job accordingly. Too much power is with the executive branch of government at present.

Currently too much time is spent "point scoring" in the Commons rather then scrutinising legislation. That might be more boring, and provide less copy for parliamentary sketchwriters but it might also result in much better legislation being passed.

I'm very much of the opinion that more of the work ought to be done in the House of Commons, and that MP's should be given more power to do this job accordingly. Too much power is with the executive branch of government at present.

Currently too much time is spent "point scoring" in the Commons rather then scrutinising legislation. That might be more boring, and provide less copy for parliamentary sketchwriters but it might also result in much better legislation being passed.

I do agree with one aspect of your first para. , that to much power is with the executive of the government. However,MP's do have the power to do do their job , as has been demonstrated on occasions when they amass in sufficient numbers to threaten the governments programme .

As I commented previously on this thread, all the nitty-gritty of government work is done in committee , as is the case of local councils.

As for legislation, Given that we are the most legislated country in the world, I would suggest that our government has clearly demonstrated that this is one aspect at which they already excel.

Parliamentary time is there for all party's to challenge the government and ministers on their programme . Inevitably , " political point scoring " is , and always will be , par for the course ; as it is on the workshop floor or, in any other group where people gather in order to discuss any issue .

I do agree with one aspect of your first para. , that to much power is with the executive of the government. However,MP's do have the power to do do their job , as has been demonstrated on occasions when they amass in sufficient numbers to threaten the governments programme .

As I commented previously on this thread, all the nitty-gritty of government work is done in committee , as is the case of local councils.

As for legislation, Given that we are the most legislated country in the world, I would suggest that our government has clearly demonstrated that this is one aspect at which they already excel.

Parliamentary time is there for all party's to challenge the government and ministers on their programme . Inevitably , " political point scoring " is , and always will be , par for the course ; as it is on the workshop floor or, in any other group where people gather in order to discuss any issue .

It's not the quantity of legislation that matters, but the quality of legislation. No country will benefit from swathes of bad laws being passed. I don't think either the current or the previous government have passed laws of sufficent quality.

In my work life, I have not found petty point scoring to be as prevelent in any places I have worked as it is in politics. I do think it's more prevalent in politics then in other walks of life.

I see a great deal of bad manners , and disrespect ,in a great number of people.

For the most part it is in adults , born largely out of arrogance.

I live close by two schools and a nursery. All I have ever seen from all of the children is social courtesy and respect .

I would suspect that if you fall into an argument or , feel aggrieved by a point which has been made by someone you also may interject , somewhat more emphatically, in order to propound your point. Albeit that you may under normal circumstances be good mannered .

If a debate were to be had in a board room between two rival businesses, somehow I don't think they'd act as disgustingly as the MP's do in parliament

---------- Post added 10-12-2013 at 13:32 ----------

Where you have 630 people sat in one place , coming from different backgrounds and, with different aspirations, different views etc., do you not think that you will inevitably get some nods and here here's , as well as some jeer's

If it were children, yes of course.

Professional, highly paid people in quite high positions, entrusted with running the country... they squabble, name-call, mock & attack each other, rather than debate important matters like grown ups.

All of it televised too.