Shorter hospital stays?

Hospitals are now geared to try & discharge patients out into the community as soon as it is safe to do so . Where I work , when we ascertain that a patient is nearing the time to go home we do a series of checks to ensure they are ready to go . This includes issues like mobility , whether the patient will be able to cope at home , especially if they live alone. Depending on the age of the patient we may look into Intermediate Care beds in order to get the patient to the stage where they are safe to go home . The physio & Occupational Therapy are contacted & they do assessments for example performing stair assessments.

If needed the Occupational Therapist may perform a home visit to see what the patient is like in their home environment. If the staff then say , Yes they need Intermediate Care , we then organise this . If we then feel the patient is deemed not appropriate for this we can then go down the respite route via Social Services. I agree with a previous poster though that the longer a patient is in Hospital the more at risk they are at contracting Health Acquired Infections.

So we don't like patients remaining in for great periods . But at the end of the day , patients safety comes first . Often when doing ward rounds & the Consultant may say the patient may go home , we have to say we now have to ensure the patient is safe to be discharged.

My hubby was in the Hallamshire on the 7th of January for major neck surgery he was in theatre all day on the Tuesday and then on the Thursday he was discharged at 8pm.I asked a nurse isnt this a little soon after what hes been through to which she replied he can sit in his own bed rather than ours.Yes i agreed to a point and he would get more rest at home but it was very scary after what my hubby had been through.

Hospitals are diseased, filthy buildings and they welcome the great and quite literally unwashed into them by the thousand everyday and that makes it worse. The longer you stay in hospital the more likely you are to catch something. He's better off at home!!

Hospitals are diseased, filthy buildings and they welcome the great and quite literally unwashed into them by the thousand everyday and that makes it worse. The longer you stay in hospital the more likely you are to catch something. He's better off at home!!

Yes you are probably right,its just that we have had the most awfull year and the most scary ever and it just seems at times that no one cares any more you are just a number.

I must have been to different hospitals then, I was due to go in for 7 days, 3 months later I was discharged because of an infection and physio, also I cant praise the staff enough xx

Quote:

Slight generalisation there, any proof to back up your inaccurate post?

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

Just been in the chesterman at ngh you will not find a cleaner well staffed place.

Eught years ago my son had open heart surgery at 4 months old. He was admitted to the hospital on the Wednesday, with a previously undetected condition, operated on the following Monday and discharged home on the Sunday. In total he was in hospital for 12 days. The staff were fantastic and it was unbelievably scary taking him home that first night, but it was the best place for us all to be. If the hospital had kept us in unnecessarily, we would have blocked a bed for a family in a similar situation.