The hungry hungry..cat

We have a male ginger cat around 14 months old. We feed him a sachet of Whiskas/Felix in a morning and one at night. He also always gets some biscuits as a reward for coming home after he has been out all night before we go to bed as he has just started going out and exploring.

The problem is, he always seems to be hungry! He cries constantly for food and always jumps up on the worktops when we are preparing our own meals.

How much do you other cat owners feed your cats? I'm certain we are feeding him a sufficient amount but his constant crying/miaowing does worry me slightly.

My 3 eat more than that, probably 3 pouches a day each plus I leave dry down all the time,but it could also be a worms problem

An active cat most likely will need three of those pouches a day & a bowl of bikkies to munch on also. My neighbours boy cat used to have four of those pouches a day plus bikkies. They are not very filling. Mostly water. Try changing him onto a quality dry brand of complete cat food. Something like Hills Iams or Eukanuba. Another possibility....does he need worming?

how big is he? we have a very active 4.2kg female cat, she's out all night, comes back in the morning, she has 3 pouches and a bowlful of biscuits, we got her as a rescue, and she had terrible worms, and she would eat every meal like she hadn't been fed in a month, she had to be wormed every month for 3 months then reduced back to one every 3 months.

Mine eat 3 pouches and biscuits each day

He's about 3.4kg, he stays in all day when we are at work and then he will go out for a couple of hours in the evening if it is dry and not windy outside - he's a bit nesh. Worms could be a possibility as he always attacks his food bowl like he's never seen food before.

I have seen on the side of the Whiskas box that they say he should be eating 3 pouches but I always just thought it was a ploy to get through the sachets quicker and have to buy more food.

---------- Post added 09-11-2013 at 19:34 ----------

Not worms, he has had regular worming tablets according to my other half, I'd just forgotten. We're obviously just being stingy with his food!

ours eat much more than that and they also have a plentiful supply of hills biscuits

My cat always seems to want more food and always seems interested in my food, I feed her more than it suggests on the box and she is only small. She has put weight on so I'm pretty sure I'm not underfeeding her. I think she's just greedy, and is used to having competition for her food from living with other animals previously. I feed her at regular intervals so I don't leave food down, I have a feeling that if I did she would eat it all at once :hihi:

you can either worm him for the three months as a precaution, or you can ask the vet for a simple blood test which will show if he has a chronic infestation,

Cats are walking stomachs!

:hihi: Love it, what a perfect way of putting it.

:hihi: Love it, what a perfect way of putting it.

My older cat is definitely a walking stomach. he spends a lot of his time at a nearby old folks' home, where he drops in at mealtimes, and does his

"I'm just a poooooorrrr staaaaaaaaaaaarving likke pusscat!" act,

...persuading the little old ladies to think "Ahh poor thing! Here! Have a bit of my ham sandwich!"

To which he replies "*Gulp* thank you, I might JUSSSST find room for a *gulp* morsel, but... Oh... I'm faint with hunger....!" lol

My littler cat, despite having his own food, prefers to race into the house like he's going to have the door firmly shut on him, and he dashes to the dog-food dishes, and snaffles the dog food.

(the dogs, if i'm not on the alert, do, also, have a tendency to snaffle the cat's food, which I prefer they DON'T do, but I suppose it kind of evens itself out in the grand scheme of things! lol)