Unbelievable what sheff city council can get away with

You better find a new site for your business and salvage what you can mate, dont throw in the towel.

That's what I was thinking.

It's probably a case of the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing in the Council. Now the relevant party (the Planning Office) are aware of the use of this building, they obviously consider it inappropriate and therefore require you to move out.

Whether you're entitled to any financial recompense due to being given bad advice by others within the Council is another matter, I guess you'd need to seek further legal advice on that.

Good luck!!

Regards

Doom

Edited by Doom

I rented a workshop and storage yard from city council in 2010 i told them after 2 weeks i was opening a vehicle repair business on the site which they said they would check into and let me know, they did not let me know i could not so i opened the garage 1 month later. I continued to run the garage for 2 years with no problems at all often talking to the council about my business and the repairs that needed doing on the building.in 2012 i asked the council if i could expand my business and sent them details and plans for a mot centre, 1 week later i recieved an email saying they had no problem with me extending my business as long as i check to see if i need planning permission. After talking to the planning office they told me i could not run a vehicle repair business from this site, they said i should have never been allowed to open a garage on this site from the begining and gave me 28 days to close. I have contacted a solicitor but they told me i dont have a case. Can this be right surely not when the council should have checked if i could run a vehicle repair business from this site at the very begining. Any advice would be welcome thanks.

This was your mistake, the lack of a reply did not mean approval. Hope you can find suitable alternative soon, last thing you want right before Christmas.

Threads merged. Only one thread per topic please.

Thank you

but shouldnt the council have known he needed to have planning permision for a garage when they leased it him as council planning are part of the council anyway is this not a case of neglect from a manager who should know what u can and cant do when leasing places to people esp as he knew it was working as a garage and also i have seen loads of garages working on side of there homes is it differnt for them then they should need permission more so than anyone

---------- Post added 08-11-2013 at 09:02 ----------

they happily took his rent for 3 years though didnt they

but shouldnt the council have known he needed to have planning permision for a garage when they leased it him as council planning are part of the council anyway is this not a case of neglect from a manager who should know what u can and cant do when leasing places to people esp as he knew it was working as a garage and also i have seen loads of garages working on side of there homes is it differnt for them then they should need permission more so than anyone

---------- Post added 08-11-2013 at 09:02 ----------

they happily took his rent for 3 years though didnt they

But the council as landlord don't care that the guy doesn't have the right permission. They just want somebody to pay them rent. If I own a yard and you rent it from me, I might not be that fussed what you do in it. Doesn't mean you don't have to get the right planning consent. The bottom line is that you should consult a solicitor before you sign any business lease. I'm also sure that many running garages at their home don't have the right consent.

i asked the person and nothing was signed so isnt it neglet they have given him no contract either

---------- Post added 08-11-2013 at 09:31 ----------

and i heard that u cant run a garage in a residential area so how can they run a garage at side of there home so the council are going wrong somewhere must be rules for one and not others

---------- Post added 08-11-2013 at 09:41 ----------

its so sad to do this to someone after 3 yrs and they have built it up he traded 3 yr applied for planning for mot unit that got refused which is fair enough but they are closing him down because he is running a garage and they say he cant trade in built up area the council must have know trading wasnt aloud so when he leased it for a garage why didnt they say it cant be used for tradeing my friend leased a shop selling veg she wasnt aloud to sell bread cos of shop next door the council told her what she could and couldnt do so why didnt they do there job right then he wouldnt be out of work no would 2 apprentices which he has kept of dole and stopped goverment have to pay there keep to me its all wrong

id fight them all the way and see if theres any good solicitors on here

---------- Post added 08-11-2013 at 09:56 ----------

or offerd a back hander to council they seem to allow them

i asked the person and nothing was signed so isnt it neglet they have given him no contract either

---------- Post added 08-11-2013 at 09:31 ----------

and i heard that u cant run a garage in a residential area so how can they run a garage at side of there home so the council are going wrong somewhere must be rules for one and not others

---------- Post added 08-11-2013 at 09:41 ----------

its so sad to do this to someone after 3 yrs and they have built it up he traded 3 yr applied for planning for mot unit that got refused which is fair enough but they are closing him down because he is running a garage and they say he cant trade in built up area the council must have know trading wasnt aloud so when he leased it for a garage why didnt they say it cant be used for tradeing my friend leased a shop selling veg she wasnt aloud to sell bread cos of shop next door the council told her what she could and couldnt do so why didnt they do there job right then he wouldnt be out of work no would 2 apprentices which he has kept of dole and stopped goverment have to pay there keep to me its all wrong

id fight them all the way and see if theres any good solicitors on here

The thing here is that he/you are confusing council the landlord and council the planning department. Two separate things. They won't necessarily and need not talk to one another. If the council building works department/Kier want to build something they still have to talk to the planning department. I can understand the possible confusion that by talking to one department he thought he was talking to the council as a whole but that is sadly not the case.

and the issue is not planning or mot it the council who rented the yard to him knowing he was trading as a garage let him trade then told him they closing him down cos he cant trade the council should have informed him what he could and couldnt do it came to light when he applied for planning thats all but its the council who are saying he cant trade after knowing he was tradeing last 3 yrs its not what they have done its how they have done it why let someone build up a biss and put everything they got into it that manager who rented it him should have said he couldnt trade as a garage not let him trade then 3yr later same manager tell him he has to close cos he cant trade it should have been said 3yr ago

---------- Post added 08-11-2013 at 10:34 ----------

he accepts he cant trade he accepts he cant open mot centre he dosnt accept they let him trade 3 yrs as a garage to tell him now hes built it took apprentice on he cant. if he hadnt applied for planning it wouldnt have come to light there for that council manager would still be leaseing it to him so he obviously didnt know his job the planning contacted council manager and told them to close him so they obviously do work together

---------- Post added 08-11-2013 at 10:42 ----------

they say its because its on a big field near a pub and shops but houses around and say u cant have a garage in built up area which is a joke i see loads joined to houses they has been hundreds of people surporting him with this garage because everyone including me think it is wrong how they have done this not why they have done this he is a very very honest bloke and dosnt do anything underhanded its also in middle of a shopping centre and then got told u cant have garage on retail but halfords can they mend cars he then asked if he closed garage could he use it as a iternet sales place then they said its a warehouse then so no perhaps they prefer it what it was before full of rubbish and drug needles next to school

I hear what you are saying and it is a shame, but just because it is a council department doing the letting, doesn't mean they can speak on behalf of planning. I assume planning have served the cease notice on the landlord (in this case council lettings), who have passed it on. Planning will only get to know about things if you tell them, or someone complains, which is how people doing stuff in their backyards get away with it. He has already talked to a solicitor who sounds as if has said you're flogging a dead horse.

we have a garage to rent nice and big what yourequire and can be used for mot as I have built it ,ring me and I can give you details and number,of owner ,never give up ,its in Effingham rd, 07501116777 bobby

Edited by bobboot
ready to just move in